Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

10 oz of too much oil in 2006 trailboss

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 oz of too much oil in 2006 trailboss

hey my new polaris trail boss had 10 ounces too much oil. ive never checked the oil after purchasing it just about two weeks ago. i went out riding this last monday also with it. decided to check the oil today and it had 10 ounces too much oil. to check it i screwed the oil stick all the way in. and it marked way passed the safe marks. even warmed up the motor for a few minutes and i checked it again. screwed the the oil stick all the way in and still way above the oil safe marks. read the owner manual and it says capacity 1.7 quarts. so i drained the oil and measured it and it had over 2 quarts in it. so i put in exactly what the owner manual said to 1.7 quarts and then check the oil level with the oil stick and whammo it was exactly and the "full" safe mark level. does anyone care to comment on this? is this purposely done by the manufacturer huh? im i missing something? do i have brain fade? or what?

Old 03-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Range Rover

go yell at your dealer

Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

10/4

Old 03-31-2006, 03:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: la90043
hey my new polaris trail boss had 10 ounces too much oil. ive never checked the oil after purchasing it just about two weeks ago. i went out riding this last monday also with it. decided to check the oil today and it had 10 ounces too much oil. to check it i screwed the oil stick all the way in. and it marked way passed the safe marks. even warmed up the motor for a few minutes and i checked it again. screwed the the oil stick all the way in and still way above the oil safe marks. read the owner manual and it says capacity 1.7 quarts. so i drained the oil and measured it and it had over 2 quarts in it. so i put in exactly what the owner manual said to 1.7 quarts and then check the oil level with the oil stick and whammo it was exactly and the "full" safe mark level. does anyone care to comment on this? is this purposely done by the manufacturer huh? im i missing something? do i have brain fade? or what?
OK.....HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! You had the bike for over 2 weeks, been riding it,,,,,,, and have just now checked the oil................WHY????? What if it was 1qt low????? You should check the oil all the time!!!!!!!! The lifeblood of the engine is the oil and when it only holds 2 quarts its not very forgiving for long.
When you first get a bike check all the fluids and give the bike a look over for 5 minutes........It would suck to take a brand new quad out and kill it the first ride, you would most likley get it fixed under warrenty but what a pain for 5 minutes of preventive maintenance.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

you know your right should had checked everything. but i guess gee dude that i figure that when you get something brand spanking new why check it. people at polaris or at the dealership that made this 10 ounce oil mistake i believe have some level of intelligence, honor, pride, workmanship.. i believe that they even sign off on it ensuring everything has been checked and rechecked. gee dude that saddens me. when i do a project nobody rechecks my work and its done right anyways. yeah but any ways oh well and life continue's on as the world turns!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

I agree with ya la....

This is something the dealer should be informed of.... they are responsible for the fluid levels when the ATV leaves the floor.... after that they will give the same defense as ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash did.... Not respectable by any means..... I have personally followed oil change procedures to a T on changing oil on a couple of sp 400's and found they are always filled over capacity.... We now do the same thing as you do... Add oil until it is in the safe zone.... run the machine to make sure the oil filter has consumed it's share of oil... and recheck.... Sounds to me like you have done everything correctly.... Keep Up the Good work.

ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash,
I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble.
John Wayne

Old 03-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

10/4[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

dont you check your oil without screwing the dipstick in

Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

negative. per owner manual its screwed all the way in. and also per owner manual it says 1.7. quarts. and at 1.7 quarts it measures full in the "safe" area of the dipstick with it screwed all the way in.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

alright just a question

Quick Reply: 10 oz of too much oil in 2006 trailboss