Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!

how do i tell if the clutch buttons are wore btw?

Old 04-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

You outta just have someone scan and then send you those pages out of their service manual. Might take a load off of you. Or else buy one. I think you can actually buy them online at Polaris electronically so it comes via e-mail. That way you can burn it to a disc and then print it off. Then when you get those pages all greasy, it's no big deal just print some new ones off. Also you only need to print off the ones you need for that particular job. I know when I bought my Victory, I didn't get the owners manual right away from the dealer. Took forever so I called corporate and thats what they did was send it to me that way. Not 100% sure if they can send a shop manual that way though. It's worth a shot. I did get not one but 2 paperback copies of it also......one from corporate and finally the one from the dealer. Brian

Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

Will see if i can do that, i went to buy the book today and they didnt have it and they said it was 50$ Figured i would look on ebay.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by: 4x4marvo
how do i tell if the clutch buttons are wore btw?
It will be self evident when you look at them.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

ok, thanks for the info. gonna get into it all again tomorrow. nothing worse than a broke down atv on the weekends when it is 70 degrees
out.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

I got the back snap ring off, how does the thing come apart so i can check the bushing things?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Once you get the snap ring off the helix should pop right out of the housing under the pressure of the spring.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

Just got it apart and back together, the clutch button things were ok looking they was steel, or a very hard material. I had to pry the thing apon took like 30 minutes does that mean the big spring in there is bad? After i put it all back together it was the same, there was alot of black dust in there. The thing that bothers me is it pulls like a freight train i9n lowe and reverse works fine but when in high it revs but wont pull, feels like the when i had my 250r when the clutch was going out. Does that mean that it is? I am working as we speak gonna tear it down again....any ideas fire away. and thanks to all for the help, even had a guy help on the phone but that didnt fix the issue.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by: 4x4marvo
Just got it apart and back together, the clutch button things were ok looking they was steel, or a very hard material. I had to pry the thing apon took like 30 minutes does that mean the big spring in there is bad? After i put it all back together it was the same, there was alot of black dust in there.
That assembly should NOT stick. It adjusts the width of the belt ramps through the spring tension. With the secondary off you should be able to twist it so that the spring is working and the helix rides up and down the clutch buttons. BTW......I guess the older models used metal clutch button. I think they probably switched to the nylon/polymer material on the newer ones to save wear on the helix ramp surfaces.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

It was stuck so bad i had to take 2 big craftsman screwdrivers and keep prying on oppisite sides and finally it came off with a little pop at the end. So does that mean that if the spring is bad then that would be my problem? When i run the atv with the belt cover off i can see the back pulley open all the way is it supposed to do that?

Quick Reply: Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!