Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Just went on the Polaris site and looked at the newest owner manual for the 2006 Hawkeye. The suggested jet setting has been changed to 142.5. My owner manual that came with the bike said the jetting should be 147.5. I guess Polaris has been reading the posts and figured out that they had a jetting problem. Mine was changed last week to a jetting of 145 to try. It works well at 90% and very little sputtering. I will have the jet changed to 142.5 when I bring it in on my next service.

Suggesting that the ones that have a 147.5 jet, bring it back to your dealer and ask them to change the net to a 142.5.

No more problems after this.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

I had lots of problems with my Hawkeye. The dealer tested others on the showroom floor. Same sputtering, won't go up hills, trouble coming out of mud holes. Change the jetting. Problem persisted. Polaris wouldn't do anything about it. The service manager came to my house to test ride. Going up a hill, it sputtered and lost power on him, then regained power and threw him off. He broke his collar bone and ribs, spent 3 days in hospital. Polaris told us it wasn't designed to go up hills greater than 25% (as sticker reads on side). What a joke! What are we supposed to do on these things? Ride around the driveway?! Well, I then contacted the Lemon Law attorneys in my area. They said there's no lemon law on quads, but I had a clear case of breach of warrenty. I was just about to send papers in, and the service manager, who'd been off work in hospital and healing, returned. He talked me out of suing. He arranged for Polaris to refund my money. THe dealer upgraded me to a Sportsman 450. Also uses a carborator. Same problem!! This is after 5 months of in and out of dealer with Hawkeye problems. The dealer didn't even want to attempt to fix it. They said they had other similar problems with any Polaris with a carborator. I went down there and traded, again, and this time got a Suziki Vinson. I haven't had a single problem. I beat the hell out of it, I didn't do any break in period, I have 200 miles on it so far, and not a thing to complain about other than the occational sore right thumb from workin' that throttle all day. It goes up hills. I guess this is a feature Polaris should consider building into their quads.

Bottom line, Polaris sucks. I will never again buy a Polaris product. When faced with a problem, Polaris hides and does nothing to help the customer. I was fortunate the dealer I use was willing to bust their butt to help me and put me in a quad that I'm happy with. Did I mention Polaris sucks! Never again!!!

To all those having problems with your New under warrenty Polaris, I suggest contacting the Lemon Law attorneys. It costs nothing to hire them. They won't take your case unless they know they're gonna win. They said that if the quad has been in the shop 3 or more times for the same problem and the problem persists, that is a breach of the warrenty. And they were very persistant to help me. I didn't have to beg them. In fact they were very disappointed I wasn't suing and said they hoped I got a really good deal because the manufacturers shouldn't be able to screw people like myself.

Oh, and one more thing... Polaris really sucks.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

I not really clear on how you feel about the whole deal.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

just to be a smart @55 how could you sue them when it says right there on the fender not intended for inclines over 25 degrees??

shinanigans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

New to the forum, been lurking a while.

My wifes hawkeye was running WAY too rich, took it to the dealer and they did nothing to it so I jetted it myself yesterday, huge change. Now it runs like it should have from day one. I ordered the 145 and 142.5 jet last week at the dealer. They said it would be a few days then called the next day to say the 142.5 was on backorder till the middle of Sept. Maybe Polaris got the clue. I went over to the Yamaha dealer and they had it.

Steve

Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Originally posted by: trailblazzers
Now onto the rear suspension issue of being like a solid axle!!
How VERY VERY true. I have all of my shocks at the softest setting and it still rides like a tank. The spring rate on these Hawkeyes is way too stiff!

Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Originally posted by: AKRMK
I went over to the Yamaha dealer and they had it.
I want to get a 142.5 as well but don't want to wait for backorder, what did you have to ask for to get it from them? Does one type jet fit all carbs or what?

Old 07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Range Rover
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Polaris put out a Product improvment release back in April for the new jet. We have been changing them right out of the crate and no problems. Everyone we have sold have had nothing but good things to say. I will have one of my customers try the clutch weight shaving and see if he likes that.

Altoone, sounds like your dealer doesn't know how to do carbs or even care about Polaris. Thats to bad, a bad dealer makes us all look bad.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Originally posted by: 06LimitedPred
Originally posted by: AKRMK
I went over to the Yamaha dealer and they had it.
I want to get a 142.5 as well but don't want to wait for backorder, what did you have to ask for to get it from them? Does one type jet fit all carbs or what?

I just told them I needed a 142.5 for a mikuni carb.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Thanks much!

Quick Reply: 06 Hawkeye 300