Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 Hawkeye 300

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

I just came across this site and noticed all the problems people are having with the new Polaris Hawkeye, I thought i would share mine. I bought the hawkeye for the wife to ride back in January of this year. Mainly bought due to size of bike and ease of riding. I have to say that when the bike runs good it is a great bike to ride and we are very happy with it.......................................
To the ISSUES; right from the start of buying the new bike we have had some Carb related issues. First it was a faulty rear speed sensor, replaced and did not fix problem. Next was a whole new carb from polaris fully assembled, installed on machine and same problem but not as often. So by now the bike had been in the shop for 6 of the 8 weeks we had owned it, Prety good for a new machine Huh??
So now the mechanic is trying to solve the problem seeing as the new Factory carb shipped from polaris did not solve the problem. So he starts thinking and ends up changing the main jet (147.5)(factory) to a 138 which made the lower end 1/8 to 1/2 throttle area run perfect but it not tops out at 38MPH before as factory jetting it did 57MPH but ran like the choke was on at lower speeds. So we are trying a 140 main jet now and i am gonna test it out tomorrow to see if it is a happy medium. I have been talking to polaris on the phone and explaining to them that i don't think it is fair that when you buy a new machine that you have all these problems, they don't seem to care to much. I think that they should just come forward and admit that they don't know whats wrong and offer some sort of compensation to us owners that are having problems.
After reading the other posts about the hawkeye on this board it seems to me that there is definatly a problem somewhere in the design of the new series carbs they are using. Has anybody had any luck with changing the jetting??The factory should be good to 4000' i would imagine. O well we will see tomorrow and i will post back.

Erik Webb
Victoria BC
Canada
trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

keep us informed of the progress of the repairs and let us know if you get it straighten out. good luck

Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Well it ran good yesterday with the 142 main jet and the 42.5 pilot jet with the float level higher than book specs.
It does 50mph again and performs good in the trails. I think this might be it now. the full range of throttle seems to be good and the wife was happy with it. Now onto the rear suspension issue of being like a solid axle!!

erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

That thing does 50mph?? Geezzz....maybe thats the problem when I demo the bike....it had no bottom end...I thought it was just the small 300 motor.....but there is NO reason for a trial bike to go that fast....for a bike that size if the top speed was 40 and it had the bottom end grunt to get there quickly I would be much happier with it ...

IMHO

Ragged

Old 04-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Range Rover
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

after ours got jetted down our dealer also ground 5 grams off the clutch weights and that has helped it shift out of the super low and back a lot smoother

Old 04-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Range Rover
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

the suspension gets better with a bit of use and make sure you grease all the zerks on the rear a arms

Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

Ya straight out of the crate it did 50mph Scary It seemed ok today and we got to 3000' and snow..... I am gonna lower the float level a bit though. Also i am using a 142 main jet and now through other people i have heard that polaris is specing a 140.25 I am gonna try to track one down and see. But for now it seems good in all aspects of riding and the bottow end is great as well as everything to 50mph.

Next mow it is off to try to make the susp softer
Erik
trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Range Rover
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

so far ours is running good too. it handles unbelievably well in the tight technical trails even with my 240lbs buddy on it

Old 04-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

I live In victoria, BC as well and was wondering were your going riding. I'm fairly new to the area and have only been on some logging roads towards Jordan river. I would love to know were some trails are that get to 3000 ft or higher. I also would like to know some good mud trails to try out my new 4x4. I was recently going to buy a hawkeye from the dealer in duncan but they couldn't get one in for a few weeks and I didn't want to wait (also read about all problems on this fourm). I ended up picking up a kawi kvf360 4x4 insted and am very pleased so far. I would like to hit some new trails and any info is would really help.

Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default 06 Hawkeye 300

hemi power shoot me a email! trailblazzers@shaw.ca (thatsmy msn also)

Quick Reply: 06 Hawkeye 300