Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

More premix questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More premix questions

Well, I've had my 95 xplorer 400 back together for a bit. Someone had dumped coolant into the oil tank before I got it, and I didn't discover this until I had pulled it ALL apart. I've been running it at a 32:1 premix with the regular old blue oil while waiting for the oil injection to start working, but I've had a couple of questions come up. First of all, how long does it take for the oil injection to start working? I've run it for two to three hours now and its not pumping yet. The old oil/coolant that was in the hose going to the reed cage is gone now, but there's still no new oil coming in. The line is totally empty. Is that normal and I need to just wait more, or is my injector pump shot?

Next volley of questions. Since I've been running premix I have to spray some starting fluid into the carb to get it to start, and it won't idle. If I let off the throttle all the way it stalls. Now I understand that it is probably running lean due to the oil, but is there much I can do to fix that? I've tried messing with the idle screw and it doesn't do much. I even raised the pin in the carb all the way. It helped, but didn't take care of it. The problem is that its letting more oil in too, not just gas. Plus I don't want to mess with it too much in case the injection starts working and I go back to running straight gas. Any thoughts here? I would really like to be able to start it and run it normally even if I am runnig premix. And should I just stop worring about the injection and go with premix? Thanks all

Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More premix questions

Was just talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said the not starting and idling issue may be due to low compression becasue of the rings. But he also said he's never worked on these engines, so he could be wrong. Is that a possibility here? I'm trying to search through the forums to see but no luck so far.