Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Night Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there an easy way to wire up my '01 Sportsman so that when the hi beam is selected it lights up all three lights, rather than just the one on the handlebars?

Old 11-18-2000, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the mthod that I used on my Magnum...works great. Hope this helps!

deej
Ottawa, ON, CA Date Posted: Oct 17, 2000 11:54 AM

Guys,
It is a cheap and easy mod that is well worth the effort. Here is my version of the instructions. I started out with Floodrunner's info and then documented how I did it:

I have used the following method on a few of the machines in our riding group. It originated here in the forum and works well.

Remove the front rack (4 screws) and pop the hood off. Locate the solid green and yellow wires coming down the handlebars from the headlight switch. Strip (don't cut) a short portion of each wire (1/4"). Attach a diode between the two wires, with the cathode (line on the diode) end of the diode towards the green wire. Solder the connections and tape up (or better yet seal with silicone) the bare connections.

The post I got the information from suggested a heavy diode. I agree, to a point. The current that flows through this diode feeds 60w. At 12V this means 5 amps flow though the diode. Therefore you need at least a 5 amp diode. I used two 3amp Schottky Barrier diodes in parallel (tied side by side between the yellow and green wires). This is the equivalent of a single 6 amp diode. The diodes I used were part number 1N5822T. They cost 47 cents each. They should be readily available at any electronics supply store or Radio Shack.

With this arrangement the low position on the switch gives you the two lower lights (as it always did). The high position on the switch gives you all 3 lights at the same time.

This is a great mod for the Sportsman. It is very easy to do, and inexpensive. I have done the mod to 1 '97, 2 '98's, and 1 '99. We don't have any battery drain problems with this arrangement.

The draw from the 3 lights at once is about 120W. This is a fraction of what the battery and alternator produce. We have never had any battery or power problems.

A simple and inexpensive mod that really improves the lighting. I run with my two lower lights turned out to the bush at about 15 degrees.

Old 11-19-2000, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Piney had the idea if you want to do it 'right'. If you aren't the kind who likes to tinker, there is another way. If you slowly move the light switch from low to high beam, you will notice a point where both hi and low are on together. When I want all 3 lights on, I do that, just run the switch between. I have yet to hit a big enough bump to knock the switch to where it doesn't work. I suppose soething swiping the handlebar might move the switch, but either the HI or LOW will always be on anyway. I don't know how well this works long-term, though. I don't ride at night much.