Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Choosing a Primary Clutch Spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a Primary Clutch Spring

hello,

I have a totaly stock 1999 Polaris Sport 2 stroke and I have heard there is alot to gain in you'r clutch. I want to put a Primary spring in my scrambler but i dont know what color to chose. I like to ride trails and race a bit. I do not care that much about more MPH but want more mid range acelaration so i can climb hills with power but still smoke the 350 Warriors I race and I would like to beat my bros 400EX Witch has a Pipe, K&N and jetting (It comes very close as it is now like 5 quad lenghts). I also am thinking on geting a K&N air filter, Will that do very much? My question is what Color/Brand primary spring would you reckomend?

Thanks, Rob

Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Rob, if you are looking to change just the primary spring on a 400 2-stroke then I would suggest our green spring it is just a little bit stiffer all around then the stk blue/green spring your quad should have right now. It has a rate of 40-120 were your stk. spring is rated @ 20-80. Your mph shouldn't be affected but you might want to see what happens to your rpm's if they are too high you might need to add some clutch weight. FYI If your rpm's are too high your machine will be operating @ an rpm were it makes less hp. With that in mind the first thing you will notice after changing this spring is the raised engagment and in turn it will accelerate harder than stk.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Range Rover

So you are saying I shold look into your green spring. How much performance increase will this give me over my stock spring, witch I think it is stock and will I have to add weights or is it a wate and see kind of thing? Also how much weight will i need and what do they cost? I would look this up on you'r site but it seams i cant get onto it for some strange reason. I am getting the "Could not connect to remote server" error but i can log onto everything elce.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Try jsut the spring it shoudl be pretty close. I don't think you'll need to change the weights I just brought that up so you know what you might have to do after changing the spring.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock pipe with a green primary spring would be nice but I would also put in a secondary spring such as (my favorite)Aaen blue or HSP white or HPD violet.This will also get you rpms down just a little.Actully better than changing weights.The stock S55 weights should be heavy enough.
But if you really want you 400 to go you need a pipe and matching clutch kit.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Id love to put a piipe in it but there too much for me and i dont like the loudness. I only paid 1800 for My 400 and havent put anaything into it. Im just looking for a cheap noticable improvement to beat my Friends modded 400EX. It comes close arady( 5 quad lengths) Looks like you all reckoment green so i will see if i can get one(right now i can log on to you'r site.
ALSO IT IS A POLARIS SPORT NOT A SCRAMBLER(my bad i dont think theres much difference anayway)

Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I just went on no problem are you clicking on our link or keying the address in ?

Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silent101
Id love to put a piipe in it but there too much for me and i dont like the loudness. I only paid 1800 for My 400 and havent put anaything into it. Im just looking for a cheap noticable improvement to beat my Friends modded 400EX. It comes close arady( 5 quad lengths) Looks like you all reckoment green so i will see if i can get one(right now i can log on to you'r site.
ALSO IT IS A POLARIS SPORT NOT A SCRAMBLER(my bad i dont think theres much difference anayway)
silent,

so you say ur buddys beatn you by 5 bikes!?!? silent, dont take this the wrong way but a primary spring on a stock sport isnt going to five you 5 bikes. if you really wana beatm get a pipe, piston, silencer, k and n filter kit, clutch kit. this MITE give you what you need, but 5 bikes is ALOT! i beleve speedwerx can supply you with this whole package at a decent price. a trail port should do it, but it is pricey

ross

Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. you may be able to get that with some sprocket work too.

since the bike is older save yourself the inevitable head ache and change the piston to a wiseco now. the skirt will break not might but will and when it does it will go in the bottom end and tear apart and get ground up in the bearings. If you change it now it will be much cheaper in the long run.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I totaly agree on the skirt breakage it will happen, It did on mine . Its a mess i was lucky didnt do any damage to the bottom half but very well could have. It seems like a hassle but rebuilding the top end back to new isnt as hard as it seems only took me about 4 hrs once the parts were in. Something to think about.

Quick Reply: Choosing a Primary Clutch Spring