Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How primary springs affect wot rpms

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How primary springs affect wot rpms

i understand that with a higher second number the motor will be turning more rpms when it reaches shift out, but just because you have reached shift out doesnt mean the motor has to stop increasing rpms does it? Example: With the red spring(35/140) in lets say the clutch will reach shift out at 5000 rpms. With the pink spring(0/160) lets say the motor will have to turn 6100 rpms to reach shift out. i understand and can rationalize this in my mind, but what will keep the motor from continuing to increase rpms to 6100 with the red spring in the primary? this is what i cant grasp. It would seem to me the if u have enough horsepower to reach shift out the clutch shouldnt affect wot rpms since the final drive gear ratio will be the same no matter what springs u use. The only way I can figure the clutch should affect wot rpms is if the second number for a given spring is so high that the motor doesnt have enough hp to create enough rpms to reach the neccessary poundage to reach shift out. If this isnt correct can u please explain what im missing? sorry for asking so many questions and i appreciate ur help.
Thanks,
Randall

Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

seems to me that you understand it... you just don't know that you do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] after the clutch is fully shifted out, RPMs will increase to as high as the engine can manage. The reason for wanting to change the RPM for shift out is that if your engine makes the most horsepower at a given RPM you want (i think) it to shift out at that RPM. But you are correct that it shouldn't affect wot rpm, and in fact won't, unless you've got a spring that doesn't shift out until like 8K and your engine only revs to 7500. In that case, you will never manage to fully shift out. hope that helps...

edit: i guess the easiest way to say it is that the clutch will adjust itself so that the engine always stays at that RPM until shift out, at which point if you have a 9000RPM motor, you'll finally wind out to that R. (i am by no means a clutch guru, so feel free to correct any of that... but i think it's right.)

Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Rocketdeerdog, If I'm understanding what your asking, I would tell you that to keep your rpms down or were the machines perfered operating rpm is with what ever spring your running , you should add weight to the primary clutch . There are also a couple other ways to get rpms down too but it can get very complicated and take years to explain everything.