Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 polaris scrambler with hpd mods-have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris scrambler with hpd mods-have questions

I agree with everything Dune said, he is (one of) "the Man" on this site.

The belt should ride at the top on full shift out.

the agressive clutch kit should be ...
10-58 weights
40-36 helix
violet secondary spring
red/yell primary spring

standard kit is ....
53 gm weights
40 deg- stock helix
violet secondary spring
plain primary spring

btw, my top speed on pavement is 73 mph gps. It accelerates very hard all the way, moreso up to about 55-60.

Jim

Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: scramblerguy
ok boys, there must be something massively wrong with my bike. Every where I look on this website you guys are talking about killing 660 raptors. A race between my scrambler and a raptor would be a joke.Here is somemore info on my bike. When the mechanic rebuilt the motor he said the v-force reeds were a little bent or something, so he installed the pedals the other way when he put the motor back in.
as long as the pedals are sealing this should not be a problem.

It might just be the pipe rattling against the motor, but it doesn't sound that good. Btw the motor only has about 6 hours on it. I am hoping it is not the counterbalance shaft. After the motor was complete, but not in the bike, there was a little rattle or play in the counterbalance shaft. I took the motor to the dealer and they had never rebuilt a 400 before they said. The noise went away once you turned the crankshaft over fast on the bench, so the polaris mechanic said not to worry about it.The motor also has 135 psi compression when hot. It has 110 cold. The head has been shaved .020 These bikes are suppose to have 115 stock according to the polaris manual. .
pull up on the pipe some and see if the rattling stops I've heard the HPD's are pretty rattly and my AAEN hit on the top of the recoil I had to grind it down some. 110 cold isn;t good I beleive 115 is within "service limit " on a stock bike but 140 is I beleive a fresh broken in stock one. with the head shaved 0.20thousands you should have 149-150psi and higher and you past premium fuel.

The mechanic also mildly ported the cylinder. I think he mostly just cleaned up the ports a little. Would this severly make the bike slow if not done right?.
Yep, but if he just cleaned up the ports and smoothed them its hard to mess up. you don;t have a full trail port then so don;t shoot for a trail mods rpm unless he really ported it.

The bike really is most depressing low end. My buddies and I mostly ride in mud and trail. When the bike goes through the mud you can really see how its performing. It starts off a little sluggish but when you get on it, it really really has torque. My buddies can't believe how it rips through mud, but it really only excells about 3/4 way through the mud. I am not a atv guy, but I have driven sleds all my life. The bike seems like its loading up. The main jet is 270 right now.
if your two rich down low then the low end will suffer. Its possible the plug is starting to foul and once you get the rpms up enough it cleans itself off and becomes a runner again. were is your needle set? and air screw?

I filled the oil up full on my last ride yesterday, I am going to check how much oil it used and see if it is way too rich. My buddies say it is smoking most of the ride, its running amsoil which is suppose to smoke a lot less than conventional oils. .
Amsoil doesn;t normally smoke have you checked the adjustment of the oil pump? you could also look at running a blcok off if you don;t mind premixing it looses some weight but does increase oil consumption. PM me if interested in one.

scramblerguy[/i]
Maybe its clutching. The primary clutch is in mint shape, except it has a giant groove where the belt would sit with the bike idling. I guess it really isn't in that great of shape. Maybe the belt is having trouble getting over this limit. Are these bikes suppose to use the full primary clutch. How high should the belt ride at full throttle. With my polaris sled, I can get full use of the clutch right up to the top.I am going to throw this bike on the radar gun this weekend to see exactly how fast it is, so i can post it, and maybe you guys can help.please help.[/quote]

With the red/yellow spring you should be over that hump by engagment I have the same hump too by a quarter throttle you should be passed it, atleast I am. take the belt off and mark the clutch fases with a permanent marker just a line from bottom to top of the sheeved on each clutch. then run the bike the belt should wear the marker off as high or as lowe as it goes on the primary and then secondary. mine comes all the way to the top.

a couple other things if the exhaust port was raised on the "clean up job" it can really mess up your low end, you may want to try another compression gauge. if you dropa cap full of oil in the motor and then do a compression test and the compression reading goes up you have a ring issue. Sorry if most of this was covered I didn't go through all the posts just trying to help. with only six hours your not broken in yet and shouldn;t be ******* it yet (imo)

Old 05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: jimmypsp700
I agree with everything Dune said, he is (one of) "the Man" on this and the Gen 3 site.Jim
couldn't agree more nice guy and always helpful I like to hear second opinions when trouble shooting and I definately trust his. (I may however not always listen lol)

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for nice compliments guys.

I still think that if you have that "deep" of a groove in the primary that the belt will slip more than it will grip so that probably has a lot to do with the poorer low end performance. JMO.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

ok, first off I would like everyone for helping me out.

Well I went to Canadian tire and bought a compression tester.

I went for a blast down the street a few times, until the cylinder was too hot to touch.

Put the tester on and only came up with 120-122 psi hot.

Why would the motor loose that much compression with only 6-7 hours on it. I warmed the bike up well every ride, and most of the riding was in wooded trails and mud. I only had the bike wide open on the road maybe 2-3 times.

That rattle obviously is piston slap.

thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Just curious?? ARe you holding the throttle wide open when you test compression?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

Good call, you definitely are the man.

I obviously need some help.

I just went out in the garage, and the bike hasn't been ran for 5 hours, so its fairly cold.

With the throttle wide open it pulled 135 psi dead on.

Thats a big weight off my shoulder.

Once again, thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Well good deal...Don't worry too much about the piston slap. They just do that and it is usually pretty loud until you rev it and get the piston moving. Just get it broke in some more and maybe dial in your jetting a little bit more and you will probably see some improvement but you will I bet see the most improvment in a new clutch. You can get them used on ebay in really good shape for around a 100 bucks.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys, I am back. Bike has been running great. I have about 25-30 hours on it now.

I am happy with the speed so far, but I am always open to different ideas to make it faster.

My first question is in regards to gearing. I looked at the bike and it is currently geared 13/36 What are all you guys geared. I typically run trails and some mud, not a lot of road riding. I was thinking about going 13/38 The bike really pulls hard on the road up top. It goes by my buddies sportsmans very easily and my other buddies 500 scrambler pretty easy also. There's really not much sense in making it faster top end, i am already much faster than them.

My second question is in regards to air filter and airbox's.
when I got the bike it only had a k&N attached to the carb and no airbox. I put a stock airbox back on and a K&N. The other night I left the top of the airbox lid off and went down the road. I couldn't believe the difference in power. It honestly felt like a totally different bike. Does anyone sell a aftermarket airbox that improves flow. Remember I run in the mud sometimes, so I have to consider this.

thanks

kyle

Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

Ritter makes a airbox mod that makes some difference you should try... I took off the whole front end of my wifes airbox and put he snorkle on when I might ride thru water or mud...still get good performance out of it.

Airbox Mod

Quick Reply: 2000 polaris scrambler with hpd mods-have questions