Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

explor down! upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default explor down! upgrades?

I just recently bought a used explor 400 4x4. Thought I heard piston slap, or maybe somehting to do with elect start not working. well now wont start, I fear the worse. What are common problems with this model? if I need to rebuild the top end do I buy parts from the factory ? any upgrade ideas? love the 2cycle idea, in mint condition besides the slap, so I think worth repairing! thanks guys

Old 04-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Tex ! I had a 1997 model up to about a year ago. The first couple of years were ok but as the miles piled up the atv got to be a nightmare (comparatively speaking) when it comes to repairs and maintenance. First, it is a high maintainance quad. With 13 or so grease zerks, chains which constantly require retensioning, drive line bearings which need replacement it keeps you busy. You need to keep an eye on the battery as it is a very important part of the electrical system of the quad. You do not want to blow headlight bulbs as they are very expensive to replace. The starter can be troublesome and is a pain to get at when it comes time for a rebuild. The front drive shaft seals have a tendency to leak but are a pretty easy fix. Replacing the bearings in the front bearing holders is also a cheap fix but requires time if you are to do it yourself. You need to make sure that the counterbalancer has plenty of lubricant and drain and refill from time to time. The swing arm is not supported by bearings and was the last thing which caused me agony. The support washers are welded to the frame and do wear out resulting in the rear of the quad moving around a lot. Engine and transmission were excellent for me. Both were like new after 7400 miles. The quad rode pretty decently but you get a lot more mechanical feel to the steering than with most quads. Oh, I forgot, the front struts wear out as well causing the front end to bounce. Hope this helps. I should also mention that most of my running was 45 to 100 miles at a time and our trails are pretty rugged with lots of small rock, bog holes and rough road to follow.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

where do i buy upgrades or replacement top end parts for the motor? thanks for the infor!