Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Removing oil injection..wise choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to do this mod...but want to be sure it is worth it.

How much weight is saved and is it noticeable in handling?

Any other eventual problems with this setup?

Just premix and thats it? Can I stick with the sythetic gold? If the quad sits for a few weeks, does the mixture stay consistant? Doesn't seem any more complicated than topping off tank every couple rides.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2000, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 93 350l that the oil injection messed up, a week or so after I bought it.. dealer said there is no real way to test it to see if its working right (very well could be wrong) anyways, cooked the rings. I'd get rid of it.. I dont know about the polaris but my yam. blaster the oil injection is driven by a plastic gear..

Old 11-19-2000, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

If your warranty is up get rid of it! My friend blew up a 95 Yamaha Bravo sled due to the injection system taking a dive.The oil pump is just to cheap of a part with to important of a job.If you premix at least you know where your at and whats going on all the time.It just a matter of plugging the oil lines I think.Oil injections only advantage is you can fill up at a gas pump and how often do you do that.I have not seen to many oil injected quades but I heard of a lot of snowmobiles blowing motors due to them failing eventually.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor,

Go Here

http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/show....rnum=612682403

Read the third thread down....."Just curious"

This will give you a piece of mind. I am in the same postion as you!

Good luck!

EC

Old 11-19-2000, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

I had run a fleet of oil injected outboard motors, made my life easier instead of always popping the covers to fill up the oil reservoir. But with newer VRO motors, or Variable ratio oil injection, the gas/oil mixture changes according to engine rpm. The VRO system will save you, over time, oil usage, and more than likely lengthen engine life. Your weight savings by removing an oil injection pump is absolutely minimal. I would rather have the oil injection system on a 2 stroker, no fooling with always mixing gas/oil. If the pump should fail, there should be a system to shut the engine down, as straight gas into a 2 stroke should do a nice meltdown.

Old 11-19-2000, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

I would not call that peace of mind,the guy said lower hp 2 strokes are fine with oil injection such as quades but on much higher hp snowmolibles 2 strokes engines he would premix to be on the safe side because it's more common to have failures on powerful sleds, specially with mods.

Well the Brovo I seen blow up was a 250cc air cooled single making 18 hp, far from being high powered. A guy told me he puts in a little oil in his gas even with his oil injection working so in case the injector failed for some reason you would notice the power loss and have time to shut it down before the motor would lock up tight.

Old 11-19-2000, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Don,t fix it if it ain,t broken!!!!

Old 11-19-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

But when that inexpensive part breaks it takes alot off other expensive parts along with it,thats the problem.

Old 11-19-2000, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Tim,

Did the guy you speak of change the in-line oil filter semi-annually?

The piece of mind you get from changing from the oil injection is that you know for sure that you wont melt down. BUT, if you perform the change, I would always run a little rich on the pre-mix and I would run the best oil you could possibly find......(Maxima 927) It would be a little bit of extra trouble to pre-mix, but you would never have to worry about meltdown due to oil injection failure.

Dropping the weight of the injection is minimal in any type of performance gain. Its mostly for piece of mind.

I'll probably end up tossing my in the long-run.

EC

Old 11-19-2000, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

The Captain's corrollary to Dazed's reply: If it ain't broke, DON'T BREAK IT !!!!

I'm running additional pre-mix with the oil injection system in place, after replacing the stock piston when it scored, I'm not taking any chances.

Quick Reply: Removing oil injection..wise choice?