Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

The throttle cable is misadjusted . The quad may think throttle is stuck when it returns to idle and kill the ignition .

Rick Ritter

Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Ritter may have it.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I checked it and its adjusted correct. I took the cover off and checked the kill switch and checked the cable. It still has fire at the plug when you crank it also. I checked all wires from the stator to the top where the juntion wiring is and all wires are good. If it is the carb and a fuel problem what am I missing if its been cleaned 2 times now and can blow through all ports with cleaner and air. Also the float lever is correct. I cant see that the cover to the flywheel is been tampered with, maybe the timing is ok. But im just missing something. The man that use to own it said that it ran fine before he parked it.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Am I correct that you have 2 problems? (Won't idle, and can't obtain full rpms?)

When you try for max rpms, what exactly does it do?

Is it possible that the reeds aren't seating properly?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

are you sure the choke cable is correct. mine kinda did the same thing, it would not idle unless given thottle and it would not rev up it was so gutless. the lawnmower was a beter choice to ride then it. when i took the carb off i messed up my choke and did not realize it

Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IdahoVinnie
Am I correct that you have 2 problems? (Won't idle, and can't obtain full rpms?)

When you try for max rpms, what exactly does it do?

Is it possible that the reeds aren't seating properly?
Yes its 2 problems. When I hold it open, it just bogs/smoothers out no power. I revoved the reed valves and checked them, none are broke and are closed.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Carb vent line plugged or vapor locked gas tank? Just thinking out loud.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Just blow throw the vent line, it is clear, I dont under stand vapor lock on the fuel tank, but I removed the fuel cap and tried that. Any other thought I could check?

Old 04-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a thought...
<u>Usually</u> when is is too rich at WOT, afterfiring in the exhaust will occur. <u>Usually</u> when it is too lean at WOT, it will backfire through the carb. From what you have said, neither of these situations occur. Is this correct?

You said that the plug is dry. Is this when you were trying to start it, or after WOT testing?

Run it at WOT, shut off, and immediately check the plug. If dry, repeat, and spray starting fluid (or gas in a spray bottle) directly into the carb. See if RPMs increase.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IdahoVinnie
Here's a thought...
<u>Usually</u> when is is too rich at WOT, afterfiring in the exhaust will occur. <u>Usually</u> when it is too lean at WOT, it will backfire through the carb. From what you have said, neither of these situations occur. Is this correct?

You said that the plug is dry. Is this when you were trying to start it, or after WOT testing?

Run it at WOT, shut off, and immediately check the plug. If dry, repeat, and spray starting fluid (or gas in a spray bottle) directly into the carb. See if RPMs increase.
The plug is dry after wide open testing. It hasnt backfired or popped at all. I will try to do the spray gas in the carb later, I have to go to work, Got moved to night shift for a while. I will post as so as I try that.

Quick Reply: Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone