Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400's are junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum (website) and have only posted a couple of times; asking for opinions on Polaris features, as I am currently researching the purchase of a utility atv. I'd like to take this opportunity to enter into this discussion as somewhat of an outside observer.

This particular forum is representative of most others I have enjoyed on this site...the sharing of information and experiences regarding a particular model, brand or use of atv. Within each of the forums I have sometimes observed very slanted and/or biased posts; as if the personal self-worth of the poster is tided to their choice of atv and they feel somehow threatened by anyone who makes a purchasing decision that runs counter to their own. We all like to feel we've made the right choice. The key issue here is that we feel we've made the right choice for ourselves. We shouldn't be offended if someone buys some brand other than our choice. If we have bad experiences, let's share them constructively. Atvs are mechanical entities made from hundreds of parts by humans...not a combination of factors that guarantees 100% reliability in all possible uses! Maybe someone picked the wrong model for their use, or maybe they happened to buy an atv that had a "bad run" in production. No manufacturer is ammune to failures and recalls, not the Japanese or Americans or Canadians.

In his initial post in this thread Chub states.. "For anyone who considers Polaris I would have to say that they are extremely nieve or are a totally non-aggressive rider who is into utility work." I hope I am not the former, though I am probably the latter. Though I have not yet finalized my purchasing decision with respect to a utility atv, I am indeed continuing to consider Polaris (and others). I haven't entered into this purchase with preconceived notions of any of the manufacturers, other than they all make a product that seems to be favourably viewed by at least some of the marketplace. Today's consumer is the toughest ever...bad news travels fast and bad products don't last long. If Polaris (Honda, Kawasaki, etc) made a product obviously inferior to its competiton it would have a very short life in today's market. Look at the bashing the Cannondale is taking on their delayed release of the new motorcycle. The consumer wants it right...and right now! There is alot of disposable income in the consumer base at this time and people will vote very quickly..for or against you product..based on the up-to-date information.

You all have some pride in your atv's...let the other guy (girl) have pride in their's too. Wouldn't it be boring if we only had one choice of machine, or one manufacturer? The manufacturers have target customers, and they all seem to hit those targets pretty well.

Sorry you had a bad experience with you're Polaris, Chub. Maybe someone "non-aggressive" like me would have gotten good service out of the same machine. Best of luck with you new atv. Let us know how it works out for you. I'll continue my search for what I hope will work well for me.

Old 11-22-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, what he said!!!

Well put JeffG! We are all individuals and have our own ideas of what a good machine is. We all have slightly different uses for our machines. What a boring world it would be if we all wore the same clothes and drove the same machines .

Chub, I think the point here is the way you presented the material. If it is clearly bashing and inflamatory, as this is, it will get responded to in kind. If you had a bad experience, by all means tell us about it if you like, just use better judgement when deciding how to tell us. There are a lot of satisfied Polaris owners (myself included, I own Honda and Polaris). The Polaris sales figures speak for themselves. In this tough world they wouldn't be in business if all machines and experiences were as you described. Keep it constructive.

DJ

Old 11-22-2000, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Chub seems to be in need of defense. Brand loyalty has clouded some of the minds of my fellow Scrambler 400 owners. The issues that Chub attempted to expose about the Scrambler are for the most part true, he just unfortunately is unable to present evidence in a way that some of you will accept. IN YOUR FACE is not always the best way.

My 98 has spade connectors and can someone honestly say that this is a good design? I have put dielectric grease on mine and have no problems, but should I have had to in the first place?

I waited until the 98 models were out because there was no way I would have bought that 3 chain monstrosity.

Couldn't the frame be redesigned for more strength and less mass?

My 98 is incredibly fast now(thanks Rick Ritter!) but in stock form it is a total dog. The clutching is partly responsible for this.

The fender mounting system is very time consuming. Couldn't the fender and seat come off together?

The a-arm bushings on the rear take all the abuse. I have busted many brass bushings. A stronger set up like on a 400ex or Raptor would be more appropriate on a machine this heavy.

The steering stem and lower steering stem bushing is likewise a bad design. Check out the stems on other models to see how flimsy the Polaris set up is.

I love my quad now that I have taken care of a few problems. It is exactly what I wanted-a two stroke 4x4 sport quad. The concept is awesome, but Polaris did not do the job I think they could have done.

While I don't agree that Scrambler 400s are junk I do think some areas of design are poor. If you are honest with yourself you will agree.

98 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 not perfect but really good at pushing Banshees out of the mud. LOL

Old 11-22-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I guess when you post Scrambler 400's are junk, you kind of started out on the wrong foot. Possibly something like my Scrambler had some problems might have more appropriate considering you posted it in the Polaris forum. Agree on one thing some older Polaris models did show some reliablility issues. but you slammed its performance , which has nothing to do with reliability.

Old 11-22-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

As a Polaris owner, I will agree that the tie-rod ends, and lower steering post bushings on pre-01 models leave a lot to be desired. I am quite happy with the performance and abilities of my Sport.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Quadfather,
Are there design changes on the front end components on the 01' models if so could you elaborate, I have failed to learn about them. I am still trying to sell my 400ex but still haven't decided what I want to replace it with

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

Triston

Old 11-22-2000, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you Paulrn. I'm glad to see that some people are capable of pointing out dificiencies with a product. As far as my post being brash and contraversal, fine. I'm glad to see that it was viewed over 600 times. Sometimes you have to go with a sensational headline to grab people's attention. That's not really what I was after but instead that is my style.

Old 11-23-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

TDBRH: The new Polaris come with improved lower steering post bushings. You were lucky to get three months from the old plastic ones, but ones were available from HPD that last. The tie-rod ends were also improved. With my Polaris experiences, most breakdowns come from abuse, and lack of maintenance. I've yet to have my first problem.

Old 11-23-2000, 01:11 AM
Range Rover

It is nice to see we have a little bit of an agreement here. All ATV's have their bad points, we all know this. It is just in poor taste to express your opinions in that matter. No sense in repeating what has been said.

However the reason I am replying here is a claim made by chub about older Polaris models not being of good quality. I own a 1991 Trailboss 250cc 2X4. It has been a great ATV for us. "Old reliability" is what we call her, never ever let us down out on a ride. Still running on original bore and piston, been rode hard and put away wet many times. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that model Polaris to anyone. Given they don't expect too much from it. You want a racer? Get something else. You want reliabilty? Go with a Trailboss.

Just my opinion based on my personal history.

Keith

Old 11-23-2000, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

chub,
I am neither pro, nor anti Polaris, as I don't ride one. But after reading your original post, as well as the follow ups. One thing comes to mind, your talking about a 6 year old quad! I'm certain that the newer ones have improved on the original design, and corrected the flaws. You should cut Polaris a break! Its that line of thinking that has kept American cars from selling better then they should. Lets face it, in the early to mid 80's American car manufacturers made some junk! That is no longer true. But we are still living down the reputation that was earned from those mistakes.
I'll have to admit that based on some of the posts that I have read here, the older Polaris quads were somewhat problematic, but the newer ones seem to be as well made as any other.

Rick

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400's are junk