Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crazy things that people do

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my years of riding I have seen quite a few crazy/smart/dumb/cool and ugly things that people do to their quad. Only you can be the judge of which of the above they are.(different strokes for different folks)

Full enclosures,canvas type and fiberglass
Rollbars
Grip-warmers for passenger
Double wheels (front and rear)
Automotive stereos
CB,s
Electric defrost visors (common for snowmobiles)
12v heated boot inserts
Every kind of imaginable light (some look like big rigs)
Child seat secured to the rear rack
Box on the front or rear for the dog
All kinds of store bought or homemade trailers for the kids. ( I saw a guy who had a fully enclosed snowmobile trailer for the 3 kids which is not unusual up here, except he that he had an electric heater (ceramic type) small tv and a vcr which was powered by a generator he had hanging off the back of the trailer on a homemade extension
All kinds of cargo/passenger boxes
Passenger footpegs
Turn signals
I once saw a guy who did not have the use of his legs. He had his machine modified with a snowmobile track under the quad, about 6 inches higer than the wheels. It was powered by the wheels (can't remember how)If the wheels would dig into the snow the track would take over. It worked real good but it was really slow.

I can't think of any more unusual mods right now but I'm sure others will be adding to this list.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I once saw pictures of a guy who went with TRIPLE wheels. He lived in the marshy areas by the river, and with his setup, it would motor right over the swampy ground, float across the river (at a blazing 2 to 3 MPH powere by the tires) and across to the other side.
I doubt he did much moutain trail riding with it, though.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Please tell me the childs car seat attached to the back rack was a joke?

Old 11-20-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Snowride

If you would have showed me that list a few years ago, I would have said you were nuts. Then I attended the annual Coondog National Trials in Kenton, OH last year. This has to be the worlds largest gathering of drunk hicks. I saw some of the contraptions that these guys had made up to put onto/pull behind their atvs and now, nothing suprises me. Imagine an atv pulling a double decker trailer filled with coolers and drunks. And yes, the driver was blitzed too. Amazing their is not many accidents down there. Anyhow, funny list though. I really hope someone stopped the atv with the childseat attached and convinced him it was a bad idea.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

You forgot to mention:
trailer hitch on a banshee
I'd put that in the dumb/cool/useless category

Old 11-20-2000, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

No the child seat on the rear cargo rack was not a joke, and every item listed is ture, not even a streched truth in there. By the way if its any consolation, he did have a pretty hefty roll bar around it.

I just remembered the bucket seat on the rear rack. (from a wrecked car)The passenger on that thing had one hell of a view.

Old 11-21-2000, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Man Zorro...you beat me to it!

Old 11-21-2000, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Once saw a guy at the Marienville, PA with a bench seat with on the rear rack and yes 3 kids seatbelted in real smart.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 11-21-2000, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

snowride, I don't think they are all dumb or useless things that people do to their quads. Just look at what neighbors/friends are doing to their cars/trucks. Essentially, you want to personalize your ride, or just make it look better than the other guys/girls. It all comes down to your budget on toys/add-ons to your ride. I saw Highlifters "Big Dog" Polaris, and set out to do the same, except on more of a budget. Good thing I took it easy on the instantaneous/not thinking purchases, by doing so I didn't spend alot, ending up with a rolling Canadian Tire (Canuck store like Farm & Fleet/Menards).

Old 11-21-2000, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Saw the guy down the road the other day. He is just finishing his fall calving. He has some kind of carrier attatched to his rear rack for hauling baby calves. It sits the calf back a few feet so mama can sniff the calf without having to sit on the driver's lap. I wonder how much weight is left on the front end...

Quick Reply: Crazy things that people do