Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Guys/Gals

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Guys/Gals

How many of you out there own Polaris Predators?
I have an '05 Predator 500 Earnhardt Jr Edition and my son has an '04 Predator 90 Troy Lee Edition. We went to Monkey Butt last weekend in Janesville, WI for drag racing, mud bogging, and off-road challenge courses. My son did quite well with the 90cc machine, but I need some major modifications before I can become competitive with all the new 450s out there!!

I have an HMF Sport Series exhaust (full system) installed and it has been rejetted. I also just recently purchased a Pro Designs air filter kit (foam). When I installed it and drove it, it was spitting and sputtering on the low end. So I guess I need to rejet again when I get a chance. In the meantime, I reinstalled the factory air filter.

I just ordered some CRJ Performance brackets for lowering the front and rear of the Predator. Hope it shows up soon!

Has anyone out there upgraded their CDI box? Was it worth the money? What brand would you recommend and/or not recommend?

Is that what I should be looking for with my next performance upgrade?

Old 05-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i have a LE edition predator with the TLD gearbox, a white brothers E-series exhuast with a high flow tip, and a K&N filter clamped directly onto the carb. im running a 175 main jet (stock is 150) with my set up im able to take TRX450R's and Raptor 660's, and ive been able to take my brothers BMW K1200R (168 horsepower) out of the hole up to 25 before he passes me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i wouldent dare say i could take on YFZ450's or Raptor 700's though, i could hang with them, but i would have a snowballs chance in hell beating one. CDI's are expensive, and unless your getting into big intake, exhuast and sometimes cam mods you really dont need one. its all about getting your jetting right and your intake exhuast combination set up good.

hope i can help any other way

Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
kmo
Weekend Warrior

I got a predator.
As for the CDI, I have a big gun, it works awesome, also I have had zero problems.
My bike is an 05 troy lee, and I was havin trouble pullin 5th gear up oldsmobile hill at Glamis, so I figured a CDI was my best bet. Now its no problem. As for your bike, it is not completely neccesarry since its an 04, but it couldn't hurt . Also the big gun CDi is fairly cheap, considering how much everything else for these things cost.
About that lowering kit, I have heard bad things about them, the only thing they are good at is smooth running, like drag racing, but any time there are jumps, they are not ideal. If you want to lower it, the easiest way without forking over several thousand dollars for shocks, would just be to get triple rate springs. Thats what I am saving my money for right now.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

yeah i use to have a predator with a big gun rev box and i love it. It's worth it

Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have a pred. The Nemisis. My preddy beats '05 YFZs in the straight line no problem. (honestly... the YFZ guy even admits it to his yamaha-riding friends) Third gear is where this thing really just rockets away from dang- near anything! (the 700R frightens me, and i haven't raced one... but i fear that would end me...) Anyway, i don't see Nicholas's carb modds in your list, so i'd look into that next... i hear they do great things...

QUESTION FOR KMO: Who makes tripple rates for the FOX podiums? does fox make them? and are they good for MX or just the hot set up for lowering your machine? thanks!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for your input...

Sounds like the Big Gun CDI is the next place to go from here.

ScramblerXLE: I am not questioning your bike.......but what have you done to keep the front end on the ground. I can't keep the front end down no matter what I do.....although, I am running stock shocks (Fox Podiums). I realize the CRJ lowering brackets that I purchased are only good for drag racing..... I plan on switching back to the stock mounts when doing any type of jumping or motocross.

When I moved the spring collars up on the front end, the springs became loose and were not even touching the collars. Is that normal? It worried me, so I moved it back to the stock position.

As far as the Nicholas carb mods..... Are you referring to the stock carb mod that they offer for $200? Have you had that done you yours? Is it worth the $200?

Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

when im dragging i always start in second, rev it up a little and lean forward

Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

ScramblerXLE: I am not questioning your bike.......but what have you done to keep the front end on the ground. I can't keep the front end down no matter what I do.....although, I am running stock shocks (Fox Podiums). I realize the CRJ lowering brackets that I purchased are only good for drag racing..... I plan on switching back to the stock mounts when doing any type of jumping or motocross
I haven't messed w/ my machne at all... and starting out in 2nd on the wide ratio tranny would be a BAD idea...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but spyder has a close ratio so it's fine for him. Honestly, i just slip the clutch out very low in the rev range and then wile leaning hard forward, i apply throttle liberally. It seems to stay planted pretty consistantly. I know the preds make their real power late in the powerband, so this is not the fastest possible launch... but in my experience slipping the clutch in the upper revs does make the machine wheely A LOT. Just something to try, let the clutch get fully engaged low and then get into the gas. Works for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] maybe i should post some videos, oh well, hope that helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] anyone know the answer to where to get tripple rates!?! i'm stuck on those now! just got off the phone w/ fox and they said they could do a double rate set-up... not tripples...

Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScramblerXLE
ScramblerXLE: I am not questioning your bike.......but what have you done to keep the front end on the ground. I can't keep the front end down no matter what I do.....although, I am running stock shocks (Fox Podiums). I realize the CRJ lowering brackets that I purchased are only good for drag racing..... I plan on switching back to the stock mounts when doing any type of jumping or motocross
I haven't messed w/ my machne at all... and starting out in 2nd on the wide ratio tranny would be a BAD idea...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but spyder has a close ratio so it's fine for him. Honestly, i just slip the clutch out very low in the rev range and then wile leaning hard forward, i apply throttle liberally. It seems to stay planted pretty consistantly. I know the preds make their real power late in the powerband, so this is not the fastest possible launch... but in my experience slipping the clutch in the upper revs does make the machine wheely A LOT. Just something to try, let the clutch get fully engaged low and then get into the gas. Works for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] maybe i should post some videos, oh well, hope that helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] anyone know the answer to where to get tripple rates!?! i'm stuck on those now! just got off the phone w/ fox and they said they could do a double rate set-up... not tripples...

HPD makes triple rate springs..if that what you are looking for..but there customer srvice sucks..I dont recommend them ..try finding a used set on ebay or at pred. owners .com

Old 05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't really recommend any cheap CDI We had a problem with one on my husbands DS and would never get a cheap one again it will just cost more money in the long run. I have a Vortex and it is great. Plus it has different settings depending on what you want. If you only have one high setting you could blow up your engine if you are not careful. If you want the higher rev limits you will need to get HD valve springs or you won't be able to run it for a long time with out hurting your engine. I would not spend my money on a rev box yet. I would go for carb and maybe get a rath header I hear they are better than the full HMF but keep the slip on to go on the end of the Header. The carb mod I have heard is well worth the money.

But from my personal experience unless you get the HD valve springs the rev box is not really worth the money until you get that done. And then spend the money and get a good one.

By the way I am not putting down the Big Gun I have not used that brand so I don't know alot about them but I would rather spend the money on a good one than have the problems that we had with a cheap one that we had with the DS.

Just my .02 take it at that.

Also try going to PredatorOwners.com they will help you out alot on there. And you can find some good deals from some of the people on there also.

Quick Reply: Predator Guys/Gals