Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

any info on sportsman 450??Hawkeye 300 4x4??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any info on sportsman 450??Hawkeye 300 4x4??

im sorry to hear that unclet, dont forget the hawkeye is pretty much all "import" why not look at the bombardier rally 175, those have so much power its unreal for their size, im sure its faster then the hawkeye

caperinmuskoka i own a polaris 500 (2nd one) and it now has 3500 miles of hell and back... i just had it up in the trails at adams today and put on 80 miles not one single problem with it whatsoever, i did need to clutch replaced (my mistake) with 50 miles on it but it has never failed me yet

remember the 455 fuji is the same engine as the 498 fuji with less of a bore

Old 05-21-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
dont forget the hawkeye is pretty much all "import"
Are you certain about that? I know the Phoenix and the Sawtooth are basically the same machine with different plastic and those are complete built in Taiwan. But I thought the Hawkeye was a US manufactured machine. I could certainly be wrong but that was my understanding.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

I am backing backinthesaddle on this on the import issue. My research says the Sawtooth, Phoenix, and the youth 90cc 2-stroke models are the ones made by Aeon and the Hawkeye made at the same location as all the larger polaris models.

Though I haven't ridden my Hawkeye very much it has performed as well as a 300 CVT quad should. I also drug around my 6 x 14 trailer just to see how well it towed and had no problems.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

My Hawkeye 4X4 worked great until the rear sub-frame cracked on both sides where the A-arms mount. Polaris has not made it a recall yet so I informed the product safety commission. This is happening to many '06 Hawkeyes. After that wwas fixed and brought home, I noticed that a front CV boot was split. Polaris would not cover it under warranty, and the shop has been waiting for the part for two months.
Check Polaris on the BBB for MN:Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will tell everyone right now. Do NOT buy the 2006 Polaris Hawkeye, this ATV is a hazard. The back sub-frame is welded extremely weak and causes serious problems on the trail. My father and I bought two of the same 2006 Polaris Hawkeye?s in November of 2006. Just three months later in late January my ATV is the first to go. Both back sub-frames break off the frame of the bike. It is now March 6th and my ATV is still in the shop. The part is on back order and will probably arrive March 16th the dealer claims.

I was upset with the dealer and went down to the shop to discuss the issues I was having with Polaris?s Hawkeye. My main concern was my father's ATV (Hawkeye 06). I didn't want the same thing to happen with my father's bike. The service manager assured me we will take care of the problem if the issue arises but for right now we can't. Always if this occurred after the warranty this will not be covered but it might be covered under goodwill. Ok, so i vented my concerns with this service manager and i felt comfortable leaving that office.

Now last weekend on March 3rd 2007, i was out on my father's ATV on Table Mesa road in Arizona. I went about 20 to 25 miles into the trail, where you can not even get a cell phone connection. I stopped and took a break and decided to inspect the same frame workout where my previous Hawkeye broke. I looked only to find out it too was spilt off the sub-frame.

I cautiously drove the ATV through this terrain. Now let me tell you something. Arizona?s terrain is tough on ATVs. I believe Polaris tests their ATV's on golf courses.

All of a sudden the ATV's back left wheel gives out, almost at a 45 degree angle. Since the wheel was sticking so far out the driveshaft came out of the rear back gear box, causing gear oil to spill all over the trail. Just to mention this again, there was no help or cell phone connection to call for help. I placed the ATV in All-wheel drive because this wheel was not working. The back end was wobbling out of control.

To make a long story short, after 20 miles of grinding metal, spilling oil and parts spinning off this ATV, i reached a safe connection with my cell phone to call my uncle to pick me up since he lives in the surrounding area.

I have pictures of this wrecked ATV if anyone would like to see them.

Also I am demanding two new Sportmans from the dealership but I?m not sure i even want a Polaris now. I'm a first time buyer of any ATVs and this is what i get. There are many players at fault for this, especially the cheap design by Polaris.

I will be suing Polaris Industries for not issuing a recall for this ATV. My dealer said this is an uncommon issue and never heard of this. They are suppose to be experts on their products. This is bull.

I'll be writing to the BBB on the dealership's and on Polaris Industries.

I am building a strong case file on this issue and if anyone would be willing enough to contact me, i would appreciate it. My personal email address is luke.rudolph@gmail.com.

Research Polaris on the US Product and Safety Commission's website and read about the $950,000 case for failing to acknowledge repairing defective ATV's.

Thank you for your time.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

unclet : The experiences about the broken subframes on Hawkeyes can be found here. There are several. I bought an '06 HAwkeye and so far I love it, but I AM keeping an .... eagle-eye ... on the rear subframe. (and I bought the extended/sucker warranty, so hopefully I'll have more leverage if/when I have troubel with mine.)

Polaris500HO4x4: I dont' think the Hawk is import. Those others are, as mentioned. My Hawk has SAE hardware.

Java00731: Thanks for taking up the fight!

All: when I read about what many others are going through I almost wanna apologize, but my Hawkeye just plain runs great and has from day 1. I'm sure keeping track of that subframe!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish i could say the same man.

When i called and demanded to speak to someone of importance at the dealership when these ATV's broke. He said i was a bit big for this ATV and rough in rough terrain. Well, i didn't buy an ATV to ride on cotton *****.

I weigh 220 pounds and 6'2". Why did the salesman pursue me in buying the Hawkeye. We had the finances to buy two sportsmans instead.

The general manager is stalling here and trying to point the finger on me.

There's a lot of problems here and i don't think its fair for potential Hawkeye to have similar issues without Polaris saying something about them.

The only recall Polaris made for the Hawkeye is an adjustment with the carburetor. If your in low altitudes your fine though.

This bike certainly classifies itself as a Lemon vehicle under Arizona state law.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Java

Old 06-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Java you really don't know anything about quads except the one you bought.
I have over 700 miles on my Hawkeye and have taken it beyond the standard riding. I have found it to be solid as a rock.
I maintain it myself and have inspected every point after each ride.
I have taken it up over 7,000 ft with no problem breathing.
My quad can easy do 50 mph and climb hills, rocks as well as the big boys.
I have been places where the Grizely couldn't climb and my Hawkeye is 2x4 only.
So get off your high horse Java and lose a few pounds or buy a larger quad>
I bet if you bought a 700cc you would still be here complaining. LOL

Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

wow iggy I had you all wrong I thought you were in here trying to ster the pot on the Hawkeye issue now here you are defending it......my apologies
my Hawkeye has been a great quad for my wife but i agree that polaris should fix these problems.

Quick Reply: any info on sportsman 450??Hawkeye 300 4x4??