Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke oil filling the carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke oil filling the carb

Has anyone had a problem with oil filling the carb when sitting for a long period of time(3-6 months during winter). I have an 04 trailblazer and this is the second time. The problem i am having is that the 2 stroke oil keeps leaking into the carb and filling the bowl then leaking out onto the ground. The lines are still full so it is not bleeding out the lines. When this occurs i have to remove the bowl and drain it so gasoline can get into the carb. The dealership said that this is common on the 90cc machines but not very common on the bigger machines. He said there is nothing they can do. He suggested putting a shut off valve after the pump but that would be disasterous if i were to forget to turn it on. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks, rob

Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

Only thing I can think of is to drain the oil out an all so the gas when you store it. It sound strang that the oil can get there sence the oil pumps are lower then the carb is. How do you store it is it standing on the rear bumper?

Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: x_scrambler3
Only thing I can think of is to drain the oil out an all so the gas when you store it. It sound strang that the oil can get there sence the oil pumps are lower then the carb is. How do you store it is it standing on the rear bumper?
The oil reservoir is probably higher than the carb.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Picturing our 03 in my head, the reservoir is higher. But we've never had that problem.

If nothing else, you could get an injector block off, and go to pre-mix gas.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, it sits on all four tires. lol. However, i thought of something while reading your responses. Could the following be possible: The atv sits on my back patio with a cover. Could the hot and cold change from the morning thru early afternnoon sun cause the oil tank to expand and push the oil out and into the carb? Just a thought. Although according to the dealer the 90cc machines have this problem all the time. Maybe im grasping at straws here.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

The oil tank is vented, so expansion shouldn't be an issue. The only possible point I can think of would be a poor seal in the oil pump allowing oil to flow through when sitting.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Check the vent line and be sure its not plugged. Also try calling a diffrent dealer and talk to a servise tech.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

Expansion and contraction are definitly a problem if you fill your tanks right to the top. Fill any tank with cool liquid and when it warms up it flows out the vent tube. If the tank is not to full and you still getting oil in the carb after sitting, its the check valve leaking by. It is located after the pump and should hold at least 2 pounds of pressure. I have seen some that are stuck for whatever reason and have replaced them. All they are is a spring and a ball check vavle that could just be dirty. They are pretty expensive to replace. Try spraying carb cleaner in it and blowing it out with air and see if it holds better pressure. If you replace it use vise grips and work it out as its a light press fit. Charlie

Old 05-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

I was going to say there must be a check valve or something in the pump. What kind of dealer would say there's nothing you can do about it? It obviously wasn't designed to work that way!!!! They just couldn't guess the part to change, too complex for them I guess. It's kind of irritating that they are just parts changers to begin with, but I guess I wouldn't want them repairing parts on my quad anyways with their inteligence levels.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Charlie, i will check that out. I will also consult another dealer. The check ball must be defective from the factory. I bought it brand new in late fall and never had a chance to ride it. It only had about 1/4 tank of oil. Wouldn't start in the spring when i started prepping it to ride. Took it in and they told me it was full of oil. I didn't give it much thought until i started prepping it for this year a couple weeks ago and the same thing happened. This time i took it apart to see what the problem was for myself. I didn't like the answer i recieved from the dealer, so, here i am. Kinda makes you wonder how often people got screwed by dealerships before the internet came along and provided forums like these where you can get the info you really need. Thanks everyone for you input.

robbin

Quick Reply: 2 stroke oil filling the carb