Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

X2 REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2 REVIEW

I’m not surprised you like your Sportsman. I have been using them since 1997 with the Kimpex seat and trunk to provide the 2-up capability. But here’s my issue.

In the near future there will be legislation banning two up riding in Newfoundland using an ATV designed to carry one. In my region, the Polaris Sportsman is by far the most popular ATV, mainly due to the comfortable ride. They are also super work machines. Most cottagers use them for transportation and for general utility around the cottage. It seems that Polaris has missed or ignored this potential market, maybe because they still sell plenty of Sportsmans with the Kimpex seats along with a small number of X2s. In the meantime, BRP has responded appropriately with the Outlander Max.

Sure the X2 can be used for a second rider, and it seems that some people are fine with it. But the seat is an afterthought. The main focus of the X2 design is the little dumping box which is rendered useless if the seat is used. The main focus of the Max is the passenger and the rack.

I wonder if I could have fitted a more suitable seat and rack on the X2! Hope they offer a Max type version next year.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default X2 REVIEW

Ebel, I agree that the X2's box is practically useless when you have a passenger, but the Bomb's and Arctic Cat's racks share the same problem. If you have a passenger there is not enough room to tie down much of anything on the racks. With the 2-up quads the suspension is designed to carry the extra weight of another passenger whereas 1-ups tend to be a little soft for 2 people. But, that being said, I hate legislation where the lawmakers are trying to protect us from ourselves so we foolish constituents don't harm ourselves. LEAVE US ALONE. If we hurt ourselves it is our problem. I really dislike it when lawmakers who don't share our hobbies make laws about something they don't understand. Nuff said...

Other than cost, the reason I chose the X2 is the front box. I have binoculars, tow hitch, cargo nets, TP, tow strap, first aid kit, owner's manual and tool kit, and still have room to spare. When we ride I put my cell phone in to keep it safe. It's pretty watertight and you can lift the top with something strapped to it. Not as roomy as the Kimpex box, though. My other trouble is that the extra seat doesn't come with you when using the rack. You have to take it off and store it somewhere. With the X2 it is always with you. Handy, yes, perfect, no. I like not having to leave it back at the truck and knowing it is there, with me, if I were to need it. I can still put some soft sided packs in the areas to the sides and behind the seat and not have to worry to much about them falling out due to the sides being a few inches deep.

Ideally there would be a seat and a couple feet behind it to store things in the box. But then the quad would be pushing 10 feet long! I think it is probably about as good as it will get having the Bomb and Cat setups for those of us who want a comfortable seat at the cost of the rack, or the X2 for those of us who want an either/or situation where we don't have to leave the seat behind. Enjoyed your comments! Keep them coming. I know Polaris reads them.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default X2 REVIEW

An X2 with a functional bed behind the second passenger is called a ranger... lol. I think the rear suspension setup allows new riders to handle rough trails better-- the term used to describe the " tilt " of the rear a-arms is called anti-squat. This allows the machine to stay more level when it is loaded under hard acceleration.

I thought the x2 was a bit underpowered... but i'm a power nut and admire polaris for producing the 800 x2.

Functional & fun --- glad yal like the x2!

Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default X2 REVIEW

EBEL if you're looking for a reason to buy the X2 i think you already mentioned it with the change in legislation banning 2-up riding on a one only ATV! LOL!

the X2 IS a 2-up. and should be legal in your area. 2-up riding is illegal in MA and this X2 is a blessing for most riders around here that ride 2 -up.

the dump bed is designed and functions the way it claims- 2-up OR dump bed. simple as that. the front storage and front rack (add a rack extender) and there's a LOT of space imo.

i'm glad to read all you X2 owners are having such good luck and enjoyment. i'm thinking about a camo '07 X2.

~MT

Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default X2 REVIEW

MTPockets, Yep, I noticed the camo version coming out 2 weeks after I bought my X2. Oh, well.... Maybe they'll go the whole 9 yards and make the future X2 800cc in camo also.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default X2 REVIEW

Originally posted by: MooseHenden
MTPockets, Yep, I noticed the camo version coming out 2 weeks after I bought my X2. Oh, well.... Maybe they'll go the whole 9 yards and make the future X2 800cc in camo also.
you know i have to sit here and scratch my head wondering WHY the X2 800 isn't offered in camo!...and that doesn't make me very happy because it makes NO SENSE!....and maybe i wanted an 800 in camo because i had such bad luck with my '06 SP 500EFI.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Range Rover
Default X2 REVIEW

I can't understand why the deluxe X2 500 only is available in black/silver or blue/black, while the regular X2 is available in four colors. I want a camo or red deluxe.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default X2 REVIEW

After owning both the Outlander Max (400cc) and the X2, My wife will tell you that the Outlander has a MUCH more comfortable back seat than the X2. I would say that the X2's seat could be designed to be a lot more comfy, and still be able to be transformed into the 1 up configuration with the dump box. When we only had 1 quad the Outlander was good for us, as we almost always rode 2 up. Now that we have 2 quads, the X2 is a better fit for our needs. The backseat is only used occasionally, the rest of the time the box makes for great storage and for working around the yard. I would say that the X2 design in a great idea, that could use some refining to be equivalent to the Outlander Max as far as meeting the needs of people that will use it as a 2up machine a majority of the time. No quad is perfect, but at least PoPo has entered the 2up market to compete with the Bomb and A/C.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Range Rover
Default X2 REVIEW

Milkmanz,

You seem to know exactly why I’m irritated with Polaris.

Stick the Max seat and rack on the X2 and there’s no way the Outlander can match up. (There’s even enough space on the Max rack to mount an enclosed trunk box!). Too bad they don’t offer the two options and satisfy everyone.

My feeling is that there is a bigger market for the Max set-up then the X2 set-up and Polaris just left the door open for the competition the same way they did with the snowmobiles!.

Ebel