Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

I wear a helmet about half the time I ride. Doesn't matter what I'm doing or where I'm riding either. You would think I would always have one on being that I'm a full time police officer and part time firefighter/EMT. But if there is one thing I have learned in that line of work, sometimes its more dangerous just going to work than any other activity you want to do. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't wear a helmet, but remember, we live in a free country. So if someone doesn't want to wear one then ok thats thier choice, let them make it.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

squeege what was with the bump. You bumped it only after 3 mins had passed from the last post. Anyway I'm all about helmets especially while loading and unloading. I load in the back of a truck and thats the most dangerous part of the day for me.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: watzupdog
squeege what was with the bump. You bumped it only after 3 mins had passed from the last post. Anyway I'm all about helmets especially while loading and unloading. I load in the back of a truck and thats the most dangerous part of the day for me.
I edited to include the fact 2 people died this week within 50 miles of here

Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

I wear my helment when I ride on the roads,trails.If I am doing yard work,pulling a trailer somewhere or mudding in mudholes I usually dont wear one.No need for a helment when you are stuck,or driving through 2 and1/2 feet of mud or water,spraying chemicals,ect.But once while trying to load the huge arctic cat in a S10 it flipped over and I wasnt wearing a helment.The quad was straight up and down and I fell of.I wasnt hurt though.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

We had 2 people die here within the last month riding atv's. One without a helmet the other one I dont know if he was wearing one or not.. Sounds more than likely like alcohol was involved. One is pending the autopsy.

Really sad to see. So far I have worn mine. They are hot and a pain but a testiment to saving lives.

This one last weekend...

"Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies say 36-year old Aaron Hunt was not wearing a helmet when he rolled the four-wheeler, trapping himself underneath. Hunt was riding on Lois Drive near Cheney at the time of the accident.

Investigators say they are not sure if alcohol was a factor. Autopsy results are expected some time next week."

This one last month..
"A Spokane man riding his all-terrain vehicle in a northern Idaho mud bog event has died after being crushed by his vehicle.

26-year-old Ryan James Knight is the first fatality ever in the Moyie Mud Bog gathering in Bonners Ferry, which has been running for six years.

Law enforcement agents say alcohol was apparently a factor in the accident.

Knight was riding his Honda ATV up a steep hill when it flipped over backward and landed on him.

He died at the Boundary Community Hospital after being taken there by ambulance.

The mud bog is an unregulated, unsanctioned event featuring four-wheel drive vehicles slogging through mud on private property. It had attracted four-thousand spectators."

Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
Only comment I have on helmet use or lack thereof is more directed to ute operators .. who by rule seem to think they don't need them. I'm as guilty as the next person for the occasional jot without a lid.

My comment is: Just because you're going slow, doesn't mean the person coming around the corner up ahead is .. and we all know how big the rocks are that come flying sometimes from other quad's wheels, plus the possibility of loosing control .. is the extra "comfort" really worth the risk?

Sean: you mentioned that the only time you don't wear a helmet is when loading/unloading. I think that loading and unloading is a very important time to wear one. Especially when using tilt trailers or truck ramps .. only takes a second for something to go wrong and you be tossed from the machine .. even misstepping while getting off the bike once aboard the trailer/truck.

Same goes for ATV headlights .. for safety sake .. they're more than just for night riding, they are also there to help you be seen, not just to see.

Ride safe everyone!!
I was gonna say basicly the same things.
About all i can add, is something i heard at the bar, when a group of riders came in, who were riding with out helmets. "theres no sense in putting 100 dollars of insurance on a 1 dollar item". If you value your life style, wear a helmet, if on the other hand, you wouldnt mind being a vegtable, go without.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

As a certified HSE Manager I deal with risk and levels of acceptable risk every day. I can tell everyone on this forum that riding without a helmet under any circumstances is not an acceptable level of risk that anyone should asume. I do feel, and this is contrary to some of the previous posts, that loading/unloading my quad on the trailer without a helmet is an acceptable level of risk for me. I have a procedure that I do not deviate from when doing this...right down to which side I step down from and which straps are tightened in what order. The problems that people encounter when loading/offloading generally relate to poor access, unsecured ramps, unsafe parking brakes, inadequate lighting, etc and this usually applies to pick ups. I haven't heard tell of anyone having trouble loading onto a tilt trailer such as I use but I am sure that there have been.

The usual arguments against helmet use are, in my opinion, crap. Generally people complain that they are heavy, hot, restrict vision, etc. With a properly fitting helmet that is appropriate for the riding that you are doing these issues are not a problem. And remember that all helmets are suitable for all types of riding. I use different helmets for quading and snowmobiling as the requirements for protection are different.

The other usual argument of its my life and I can do what I want doesn't hold a lot of water with me either. If someone with this attitude ends up injured or dead because of lack of using a helmet it will affect somebody else in a negative manner. Don't any of you people who think this way assume that your actions have no effect on others cuz you are wrong.

Protect yourselves when you ride...if you don't want to do it for youself then think about your family or someone else who would be affected by your death or injury.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

As you can see in my pictures...somtimes I don't wear a helmet, but people tell me I got a thick skull.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
67x
Trailblazer

I would have to say I see as much risk of a broken neck, so why not a neck brace? Flying off and having a visor or face guard dig into the ground has got to be rough on the neck.

While at it, being crushed by a bike is not going to kill you slower if you wear a helmet. Not advocating anything, just pointing out some things that appear obvious. I honestly think this world has been so lulled and coaxed into the safety bear trap that nothing else coming down the pike would surprise me from the sheeples out there. Ending there.

I live fully on the notion that there is prudent, there is cautious, then there is fanaticism. No criticism, just pointing out that every has their protocols and recognizes dangers to some degree. Then again, when you're number is up, it's up no matter what you do.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Im all about neck braces for kids, chest protectors, boots, googles and gloves. My next purchase will be riding pants for them. Back in the day no kids would were a helmet because it looked uncool, to hot, the strap got in the way. Now its just second nature to my kids to wear there helmet. I wish that it was cool to wear a helmet on some of the rides that my kids go on at six flags. I'm always having to put my arm behind there head to keep the jerking motion from bagging there head into the hard seat.

Quick Reply: Helmet Use...Or Lack Of