Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
67x
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

[/quote]

I have 2 children - a 9yr old daughter (who races the Predator 90) and a 4 year old son (who rides the Predator 50) My concern for your daughter is not only her ability to handle the 90, but how well she sits on it. The 90 is too big (size wise) for a 5yr old child. If speed is the reason you moved her up to a 90, all you have to do is add some light modifications to a 50 to get it to have a bit more pep.

Just about any child can use a gas and a break, but size does matter! All it takes is making a sharp turn and that quad (that is too big for her) will come tumbling on top of her. I am around kids every week (at the track) that ride mini quads and dirtbikes. Some of the younger kids come and sit on my daughters quad. Their feet barely reach the foot rest. When your daughter sits on the quad, is she able to comfortably bend her knees while she is sitting on it? I bet he legs are almost all the way straight!

I have seen people come to the track wanting to race their child and the track won't even consider it (because the mini quad is too big for the rider.) Although ability is a factor, they also consider the size of the machine versus the rider size.[/quote]

I forgot to even mention that, but she is able to reach pretty good, not as well as the 50, obviously, but pretty good. She can stand up and get about 3-4 inches between her and the seat, so she is still able to lean. Anyway, good point to bring up.

Boy, I feel like I'm on trial!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It's all good! Thanks guys, I will no doubt gain a lot from this place.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

postgazette.com

"The car, a New Yorker with Maine plates, was driven by Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, who made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and Roethlisberger flew into the windshield and then hit the ground head first.

Roethlisberger was bleeding heavily from a head injury, and blood pooled on the pavement. The witness said he was not wearing a helmet.

The entire front end of the motorcycle, was destroyed. The car sustained damage on the passenger side door. Fleishman's husband, Martin, confirmed in a telephone interview that his wife was the driver but said the couple didn't want to discuss what happened."

I have also heard some knee injuries.(I hope not very bad).....I some shame is thrown her way BIG BEN style......

Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
67x
Trailblazer

That's awful. An acquaintance of mine in high school lost his right leg below the knee that same way. Don't know if he wore a helmet or not... He now owns the best hot dog joint in Glendale, AZ- Dazzo's Dawg House.