Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Being fairly new to this forum, and enjoying it by the way, I have been looking at everyones posted pictures. I have noticed that a lot of you people out there are not wearing helmets. Give me some insight into why you don't wear them. About the only time I do not wear mine is to load or unload my quad on the trailer. I also notice that when looking at where people live that it is mostly Americans who are not wearing helmets.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Any picture of mine where we are not wearing a helmet was taken during a break or taken before or after riding. If I am more than putting around, I wear a helmet.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer

Don't know why you posted in the Polaris specific forum, but lack of helmet use is a problem with atvs in the USA. I am in a riding club that requires helmet use, but quad riders still seem to think they are immune, especially utility style quad riders. It doesn't bother me, but I would hate to see a fellow rider get hurt/killed, but hey, it's their head. The USFS doesn't even require helmet use on the trail system closest to my location. Yes helmets are hot, restrict vision, are heavy, etc. , but it can save your life too.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Yesterday on the news they said helmets are NOT required on state trails....? Not sure if they are correct

But careful where you get your info cause they also said no manufacturer built atvs for 2up riding....LOL....but anyway 2 people died last weekend from atv here around pittsburgh

Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

I posted here Wannabe cuz I have been looking at the pics here and I ride Polaris. Whether a helmet is a legislative requirement or not I will still always wear one & that goes for all my motorized toys, i.e ATV, sled, motorcycle. I think that my melon means more to me and my family than to ride without one. I won't even let my kids ride their bicycles without a helmet or go skating without one let alone climb up on the ATV or sled without one.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll admit there are times when I don't have mine on. Out on the trail is not one of them. I find it ironic that I have to wear a seat belt in my car at all times, but the helmet law makes them optional.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Bump

Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I only wear a helmet if i'm sport riding on my dirt bike or Predator, if i'm just messing around i DO NOT wear one, i hate the helmet because i can't hear worth a crap with it on, not to mention it's hot.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Only comment I have on helmet use or lack thereof is more directed to ute operators .. who by rule seem to think they don't need them. I'm as guilty as the next person for the occasional jot without a lid.

My comment is: Just because you're going slow, doesn't mean the person coming around the corner up ahead is .. and we all know how big the rocks are that come flying sometimes from other quad's wheels, plus the possibility of loosing control .. is the extra "comfort" really worth the risk?

Sean: you mentioned that the only time you don't wear a helmet is when loading/unloading. I think that loading and unloading is a very important time to wear one. Especially when using tilt trailers or truck ramps .. only takes a second for something to go wrong and you be tossed from the machine .. even misstepping while getting off the bike once aboard the trailer/truck.

Same goes for ATV headlights .. for safety sake .. they're more than just for night riding, they are also there to help you be seen, not just to see.

Ride safe everyone!!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 PM
67x
Trailblazer

Wow, I hate to even write this, because I am a bad example...I wore a helmet when I was younger and racing BMX, but only because it was required. Maybe I need to see the error of my ways. I never asked my kids to wear helmets with their bicycles or scooters because I never did either. Out here in the country, we don't have rocks, not to say they couldn't hit a tree, but I haven't been enforcing the helmet. I guess I should. My 5 yr old is on a predator 90 with the limiter removed after the first day and she is a very athletic thing who still doesn't push the speed. My boys do. I admit that I worry and think they should wear one, I guess I just have too much faith in their abilities.

I'm not a safety freak, my bro gets on me all the time about safety, but he is OCD on it. I let my kids be kids, get dirty, get banged up, etc. Just like we used to when we were kids. A time is coming here soon when we will all be riding something together, so the collision possibility would be my main concern. My land is rolling and free of rocks...but we are going to be making some trails in the woods, but it isn't there yet.

I don't think I'm a bad dad, maybe I just haven't looked at all the possibilities. My girl hates the helmet, she complains about the weight of it, though it is an XS for kids. Seems that might cause a problem in itself.

Quick Reply: Helmet Use...Or Lack Of