Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mounting a GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a GPS

Would you happen to have any pictures of the way you mounted your GPS? I'm curious to see how it looks. I'm tending to go with the RAM mount. I have a tourtech on my motorcycle, which is made for dirtbikes. Those things take a beating. The tourtech mount has a built in rubber mount and is metal. I know it really protects and holds my Garmin V really well. About 4 yrs ago, I hit some oil, going straight. The rear wheel slid, then caught. The bike literally flipped in the air. When I woke up, the GPS was still on the bike, and still working. Me, I broke my wrist trying to catch myself as I landed. I do hope these Quads are safer.
Katuzo

Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Your lucky you've got 4 of them. I just bought this one last Thursday, or should I say my nephew who lives in Maine bought it for me with my money. I plan on retiring there in a few yrs., and they is no place to ride in NY. I didn't realize that I was going to create a problem for him. Both he and his wife both want to ride it, and they don't own a quad of their own. I spoke to him last night, and he told me that he was going to store it in his garage, so now I guess I don't have to think about building a shed there.
Katuzo

Old 06-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Ram mount for garmin is asome check out pics!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Didn't see any pictures with the GPS on it, or how you mounted it. Like your brushguard. I want to buy one like that, but before I do, I want to insure that I use it with a plow. Some of them you can't, and I don't want to have to be removing it every year. I also like the color of your ATV, mine is green. But I guess after you run it in the mud a few times, it really doesn't matter much.
Katuzo

Old 06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mounting a GPS

Katuzo, I can't seem to get pictures to post, but mudlover600tw has the same mount on picture #3. It's hard to see but his is mounted on the right side of the handle bars. Mine is mounted on the left side and it is adjustable. You can get the exact mount for your specific model gps. I don't know why, but I just thought of what you call a camel's foot digit while looking at mudlover's pictures.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting a GPS

I have an expensive Magellan that vibration locks it up. I also have a cheap Magellan that works fine with the handlebar mount. If I had an option, I would fab a mount that goes to the tank or somewhere else besides the handlebars. Both my 500 and 700 LOVE to vibrate the bars. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER MAGALLEN PRODUCT AFTER THE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH A $500 GPS!!!!!!!!! Sorry...had to rant!!!! I dont know if you saw my pics on the mount or not..... http://community.webshots.com/album/116819672FZOEzM

Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Thanks, that's what I've wanted to know. The fellows over at quadovator told me that was the best place to mount it and send me a picture of the way he did it. It looks like that's the way to go.
Thanks
Katuzo

Old 06-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Yes, I finally found his GPS setup on his quad. From what I hear, the best place to mount is on the tank, because of vibration, so I think I'm going to go that way. Got to love those Canadians.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Katuzo

Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Sorry it took so long,i have never had a vibration issue using this mount system.I would not mount any lower on my bike as the water we ride in gets past the lights! It does float but not totally water proof.Also mud flies everywhere and it seems to stay pretty clean there.They also sell plastic covers for the display of which i ordered when i bought it from GPS central on line.They have all the ram mounts and are excellent people to deal with.
Caution mounting on tank as your nuts may be in trouble on technical rides.LOL Seriously.Also on the position for the gps allows you to look at it but not look down too much of which can save you from hitting your buddies or that bigas tree.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

The brush guard can be used with a plow although i dont plow with her.Snow blower is better for me no where to push snow. the brush guard It is modified to be 4 inches further ahead of factory mounts more cushion for bush wackin and big trees wont hit the plastic bumpers

Quick Reply: Mounting a GPS