Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb question,Running Rich :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb question,Running Rich :(

Working on a 94 400l 4x4, Its running rich, I have replaced the pilot jet and main jet, carbs been cleaned very well. It sat for nearly 2 yrs and I have set the float level per repair book, and tested the floats. They dont bubble and float evenly. I got the replacement needle and seat for the float, but the one I have is screwed in and the replacement from polaris is the press in type. Now do I have to drill the threads out or is there another trick to it. Looks to me that you should be able to get a replacement same as the old instead of this BS.
Also the book really don't tell how much the fuel level should be in the bowl. I know its in the float/ fuel level in the carb, I can restrict the fuel line and it runs fine. The fuel never runs out the carb with the motor shut off so I don't think the needle and seat is the problem, more like the floats are not pushing the needle up enough. Any suggestions.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the floats werent being pushed up all the way then you would have gas running non stop right into the base of the engine. it may sound stupid but w/ the carb off and upside down w/ the float shutting needle into the seat try blowing some air into the gas line inlet ( not high pressure as you would blow the needle right out) and see if any get by. if you ban blow thru it say w/ your mouth then either your needle and seat are bad. even w/ it off if the needle was letting can in it would fill your base full gas.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I tried that and I could tell it stop blowing through with it up side down.
I guess to me its like the floats are not set right. If I clamp the fuel line off after a few seconds it runs like it should before it runs all the way out of gas.
Has anyone had the problem with the new style neddle and seat. I hate to drill the threads out and screw it all up if it don't work.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I took the new needle and seat back to the dealer and they gave me another one with threads, got home and it won't work either. i just about to give up on this, New floats are $67 dollars a piece. I would like to sell a half dollar looking plastic for that price. The level of the fuel is 3/8 from the top of the bowl. Does that sound to high to you?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

A while back a guy had posted an idea that i thought was pretty good. It involved attaching a piece of clear tubing to the drain on the bottom of the carb, then run it up along side of carb. Next you open the drain screw and let the tube fill up and you can see right where the fuel level is. To adjust the float level can you bend the tab that pushes on the float needle or is it all plastic?

Old 06-11-2006, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I can bend the tabs for the float needle it is made of metal, I have bent it a lot and runs better but still running rich. I ran the quad and after shutting off. I removed the carb and removed the bowl and thats how I know that the fuel level is about 3/8 of an inch from the top of the bowl. I was carefull not to spill any. No luck at the dealer about questions, I found a after market carb repair parts place and order there parts. Is the level in the bowl too much?

Old 06-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont know if anyone will know that about 3/8 full is right or not but it seems to me if you know for sure your float is nos working right (basicly not taking in gas) and you have it set level i dont know it would that would be the problem. its really a very simple set up that makes it work. i'm stumped my self in why that it would be doing it. good luck and let us know.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

does that carb have the choke plunger?. check to make sure it is seating in it's bore. if it is not sealing it will let gas through causing a rich/choked condition.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Check the basics if you haven't already. Air cleaner, air mixture screw, one turn should be close. The float when the carb is upside down should be paralell with the base of the carb. Is your needle clip in the center position? The choke was a good question posted earlier. How is it at wide open throttle? Does it clear up? I think even those older units are reed cage engines.
Maybe some of this will help. Doc

Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know how much you spent so far but. I replaced my carb on my 350L for 129.00 aftermarket not stock. Put the correct jets in and off she went. I would never spend that much on just the float. Just an idea.

Quick Reply: Carb question,Running Rich :(