Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Scrambler Gearing, Airbox questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Scrambler Gearing, Airbox questions

Hey guys, I am back. Bike has been running great. I have about 25-30 hours on it now.

I am happy with the speed so far, but I am always open to different ideas to make it faster.

My first question is in regards to gearing. I looked at the bike and it is currently geared 13/36 What are all you guys geared. I typically run trails and some mud, not a lot of road riding. I was thinking about going 13/38 The bike really pulls hard on the road up top. It goes by my buddies sportsmans very easily and my other buddies 500 scrambler pretty easy also. There's really not much sense in making it faster top end, i am already much faster than them.

My second question is in regards to air filter and airbox's.
when I got the bike it only had a k&N attached to the carb and no airbox. I put a stock airbox back on and a K&N. The other night I left the top of the airbox lid off and went down the road. I couldn't believe the difference in power. It honestly felt like a totally different bike. Does anyone sell a aftermarket airbox that improves flow. Remember I run in the mud sometimes, so I have to consider this.

thanks

kyle

Old 06-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I ran the 13/36 for years and really liked it....but when I put the 38 on it made it even better....this is for trail riding now.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

I'm running the stock gearing still.

I'm looking for a new sprocket chain kit right now, but will still stay with the stock gearing most likely.

Dune, you sthink i should move up to a 38 tooth rear for trail riding?
Any recomendations on chain sprocket brands for us guys thinking of chainging?

I personally want to go with something durable more than for looks or light weight.

Jim

Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

Man Jim I bought this 38 off of a guy on ebay for like 7 bucks...I think it's OEM..My 36 still looks new and it's 5 years old. I've gone thru the fronts sprockets though. I think you would like the 38 for trail riding...you don't lose much top end it seems but have a little more snap and midrange.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

ya, i think a 38 would be great for trail riding too. I am going to try that airbox mod too, thanks

If i go to a 38, which chain should I buy. My chain right now has the o-rings seperating so i have to buy a new one anyways.

Also, with the airbox mod, i am jetted 260 right now. should i move up to 270 or try it with the 260 in and check the plugs for a while.

also what is your thoughts on the lightened flywheel. My bike really turns on in the mud, but it doesn't really do much till the pipe is lite. I was hoping the lightened flywheel would spool things up a little quicker.

always appreciated.

kyle

Old 06-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider

Look in the rocky Mnt or Dennis Kirk catalogs they have recommendations for chain sizes if you go up or down in sprocket teeth.

Rick recommends a 270 main jet from a previous post, I'm running 260 with stock airbox at 1000ft
60-75 deg.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

The non-concentric drive Scramblers used a 84 link chain. I'm not sure what the concentric drive scrammys use.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

We use a 76 link. if you go 12/38 you will get even more bottom end. also you can mod your air box by putting another spout like the stock one right behind the stock one to double the air intake. the best chain and sprocket set you can get for the best price is the ek chain at magic racing. Check out the forum gen3usa.com for everything scrambler.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

How much do you want to spend is the question.Aaen Performance - Polaris ATV 500 They have 5 stage kits to chose from.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry it is 78 link not 76

Quick Reply: Polaris Scrambler Gearing, Airbox questions