Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 Polaris Scrambler needs to run hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler needs to run hot?

Does the 2001 Polaris Scrambler need to run hot?

The last few time I have started up this atv for my kids, it always seems like it never wants to run at first. When I first get it started, it idles, but when I give it some gas, it has no power. It sounds like it is going to die. Then I stop giving the gas and it stays idle again. Then around after a few minutes, it will go only a few feet with the gas and then start to die again. This will happen a few times until maybe up to a minimum of 5 minutes or more have passed, it will start to work like it should...with power.

Does this happen because the atv needs to be hot to run normal. I called a local shop and they said the carborator probably needs to be cleaned out and would run $112. Could this be a possibility?

Does anyone else have this problem with this atv or one similar?

Also, for the first time this morning when I started this atv, it dumped some of its oil on the ground. I wonder if this oil was just overflow. It has never done this before that I remeber. Then I filled it up with gas and topped off the oil and went through the normal routine of trying to get it going as mentioned above. Once it started running, it was fine. Also, the oil never leaked again. Does this sometimes happen with the oil? FYI: The atv was sitting for around 6 months since last used....could this have been the problem?

I would appreciate any comments...Thanks.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO on cleaning the carb.I would drain the gas too and put in fresh.If you plan on letting it set that long put in a fuel stabilizer.I would find someone besides a dealer to clean the carb.If it is a 400 it would take less than an hour to pull,clean and replace.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with ftwflh. Except instead of fuel stabilizer, pour in some budlight, that'll clean out it's system.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Budman650
I agree with ftwflh. Except instead of fuel stabilizer, pour in some budlight, that'll clean out it's system.
I have to disagree Budman! With what your are doing Pabst Blue Ribbon works best
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]