Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 silverado clunking noise when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 silverado clunking noise when shifting

Anyone have one of these trucks? it is a 2003 Z71 4x4 extended cab. I bought it used from the dealer here. It has 49000 miles on it and is excellent condition. I have one problem. When I pull away slow it clunks when the auto transmission shifts. I took it back and the dealer said it is the way they work, something about this new electric shift transmission. If it is under load and your giving it to it when pulling away you don't get the clunk. The dealer let me drive another one they had there and it did the same thing?

Old 06-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

Yep, I have a 2004 Silverado and it does the same thing. The dealer shot me a line of sh^t just like he did you. There is no way that thing is supposed to do that.

They either have their tolerances off somewhere or it's just a bad design. It really pisses me off too, I hate to spend that kind of money on something only for it to make that noise when shifting. It can't be good for it and I feel like a noise like that has to eventually cause some damage, it's just a matter of time.

If you do a Google search for Silverado clunking noise you will find that there are many people complaining about this exact issue.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

I had a Silverado that clunked when I started off just like yours. I think they all do it. I was told it's because there are two drive shafts with a carrier bearing in the middle because of the length of the truck and you have a little play. Also, I noticed if you over grease the carrier bearing it clunks even more. I put 200,000 mile on my Silverado with no problems what so ever. Looks like you have alot more miles on her. I have an F350 now and be glad all you have is a clunk.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

Thats why I drive a 1969 Chevrolet 4x4.LOL.My D.D. is a 01 S10.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an 04 silverado, and it does the same thing, when shifting and sometimes downshifting when slowing to a stop.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is it a 2 piece driveshaft or one?
Ive got a 2wd truck, and it has a 2 piece driveshaft, that was replaced, because of the clunking. Works great now, and the mechanic said to lube the splines at every oil change, and itll last the life of the truck.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

The dealer will tell you it's normal as long as it under warranty; once it's over they will tell you you it isnt right. My z71, @ 49,000 miles got a new transmission put in. very recently. It was out of warranty and i had to pay $2400. ouch... But it was cheaper for a new tranny than to buy a new truck. the truck is in excellent condition.

The new tranny comes with a 3yr/50,000 mile warranty and is transferrable. If they rebuld it, its only 1yr and 12,000 miles and would honestly be about the same $$$ b/c they would eat you up with labor costs in tearing it down and replacing peice by piece.

But in your case since you STILL HAVE have a warranty- You better raise a little hell at the dealer and make them replace it. If they dont do antyhing, call Chevy or GM headquarters. AND you can also take it to GMC dealer. ive found that our GMC dealer in town here has better mechanics (maybe its just a coincidence) and much nicer than the chevy dealer's. And they HAVE to honor each other's warranty since it's a GM product (i think by law) - GM announced that a while back. The GMC dealer replaced mine and gave me a rental car of my choice to drive while they had the truck and for an extra day b/c i couldnt pick it up on the day it was ready. That's a nice touch of customer service (granted, i probably paid for that 5x over in the price of the tranny but still...). I will never go back to the chevy place.

after this, i dont think i will ever by a GM again unless it is a diesel duramax (they dont make the engine or tranny) or a vette (just b/c its a vette). Its ridiculous that an american car co cant make stuff to last longer and then want to **** and moan about the asian, european car makers taking over. I say make better stuff and more marketable stuff and they wont have to worry about it.... but i also understand that no OEM is 100% error free. you could get a problem with anything, but it just leaves a bad taste in your gall when this kinda thing happens from any of them. I just dont want to be without a warranty again b/c if there is a major problem- they are fixing it, not me again!

Bottomline: make them replace it and/or get a lawyer. or else YOU will be paying for it when it goes out of warranty.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Guys Try this forum http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/

Old 06-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 04 gmc doesnt it do that. only clunks when going from l.range to high. of course it only has 15,000 miles on it.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

I have an 02 Avalanche and it doesnt do it. Maybe try a tranny flush and filter change? The only thing that bugs me about my truck is the dreaded PISTON SLAP!!!!! Which the dealer claims is normal.........yeah right!!!

Quick Reply: 2003 silverado clunking noise when shifting