Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help, Having doubts about my 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Having doubts about my 800

Actually I think you did a pretty good job of explaining the design deficiency as you see it. I never knew about this problem until now but grade 8 bolts are on my shopping list.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Every one I have seen already has the grade 8 bolts from the factory.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Pushing and pulling with your 760 sportsman is not abuse, Running into tree, drown out in water, flipping your atv, Not servicing your atv,Thats Abuse!! they are built for hard work, I pull a disc behind mine that was for a tractor, only problem i had with Polaris was 03 predator tranny and i did abuse the predator. There's no way them bolts are gonna break with normal operation, My opinion.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Instigater

Here is why this is a bad design. I have put serious thought into this and I believe the bushing rocks up and down in the hub a little at a time weakening the bolt until it breaks. For you JUMPERS out there, think about it for a second... you got 800lbs. of quad, plus you, coming down on this barely seated bushing. Ok, I just thought of something... imagine if you will... imagine bolting the bushing inplace at the hub without the arm. Then use a jack and lift up on the bushing, then start jumping on the quad. I know this is not exactly the same, but I am trying to explain my rocking theory. This rocking has to be the cause IMO. I say this because one time while cleaning my old quad, I noticed that the washer was domed. The center was where it should be and the outer edge of the washer was seperated from the bushing. The bolt was tight too. I just removed the washer and flatened it and flipped it over on install! If the bushing went in farther, there would be less radial movement possible and the rocking would be eliminated. When the bushing rocks in the hub, it is bending the bolt back and forth, we all now that metal will eventually break.
hey, all im saying is that i jumped my 800 and there was never a problem exept i had a deffective belt and it caused a pre-mature explosion inside the belt cover. i dont own the 800 any more, traded it in for a predator, but i know the limitations of a sportsman better than most.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

It seems to me that you are putting additional stress on both the suspension with the combination of 1.5 inch wheel spacers and wider tires. From your pics, it looks like you have also have offset wheels?? This combination of extreme offset puts huge stress on your suspension and wheel bearings. That could be why others are not having the problem you are seeing. The rear suspension is designed to minimize the stress on the pivot points and translate it to the shock. In the front of the quad, these changes causes the steering geometry to go out of wack and the quad no longer handles as well. In addition, all the front end wears out quicker. These are the reasons not to run spacers or high offset wheels.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden snowmobiles. motorcycles and now 4 wheelers since the sixtys and one thing I've learned the more you change things from stock out of the box the more trouble you will have. I have a friend who has too much money and the first thing he will do when he gets a new machine is start changing things and hopping it up. He has never pulled me home but I can't remember how many times he's been pulled home.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by: propolaris

There's no way them bolts are gonna break with normal operation, My opinion.
Mine did.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain

Mine did.
Seems to me that you do not have stock wheels. Since they are wider than stock, no doubt they have the incorrect offset. You support my post. Deep offset wheels and/or spacers will eventually screw up your suspension. I think this is pretty much common knowledge.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain

Mine did.
Seems to me that you do not have stock wheels. Since they are wider than stock, no doubt they have the incorrect offset. You support my post. Deep offset wheels and/or spacers will eventually screw up your suspension. I think this is pretty much common knowledge.
My stock rear tires are 11" wide and my current rear tires are 11" wide. The offset is the same as stock and I don't use spacers.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider

Stock wheels(just like my signature says). Go Fish!

Quick Reply: Help, Having doubts about my 800