Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help, Having doubts about my 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Having doubts about my 800

I really want to love my 800, BUT, I am so frustrated with this quad. The design of the rear lower control arm to hub connections must be some sort of a game show, and I am waiting for someone to jump out and say "GOTCHA!" I can't believe that Polaris has not changed this YET. The arm is held in place with 2 bushings. The bushings only go into the hub about 3/16" maybe less(I am sure someone will measure this and set me straight) So , basically the weight is on four bolts. Bolts are strong, but not in this application. Come on, you mean to tell me that this is suppose to hold up all the weight on that corner of the quad? You have to be smokin the illegal stuff to think that this is a good idea. My 01' had 2 of the bolts break. Now my 800 has one broke, 250 miles into its life. Not only did one break, but it was the front of the two. What difference does the front one make you ask? This one is on the shock side of the arm! So now the arm is twisted. This makes me sick. You mean this is the same technology our troops are using on the MV's. I Sunday ride compared two those guys. Hey, someone call the red phone. Tell Bush I have found the weapons of mass destruction. They are making them in Medina, MN. I took it in today for repairs. I am about to try out the 4.5 years extended warranty. The service manager about flipped when I told him that on my last ride, both front lowbeam headlight lens fell out, a pulsating vibration is felt in the floorboards at idle only, the back wheel is about to fall off and the speedo pod black ring popped off on the trail. I was quick enough to catch it, HEY, I am proud of that![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (the reflex that is)! I tell you what it sure is nice, dropping $8700 plus an additional $1500 on goodies. This way, I can hear my buddies stories when they get back from riding without me, because mines in the shop! Before any of you start in on me talking about abuse, I'll let you in on a little secret. This last trip that I went on, I had my 6 yr. old with me for the whole 52 miles. What could I have possible done to abuse the quad without throwing him off of it first? Oh, and for the ones that want to chime in on "Well, things break!" I will first tell you this, 250 miles. That's all I get? I get a measily 250 miles before the thing starts to self destruct? I don't like owning junk, that is why I have bought my third Polaris. I don't like jumping ship, but my buddy's Grizzly is looking real tempting. The '07's will be out in a few monthes. Might have to give it a looksie![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got a bad one. This is how Polaris manages to keep their bad rep. I am bet the 5 units before and after yours to roll off the assembly line were top notch. Unfortunately, you may have gotten a turd. Hopefully you can get these things fixed up and she will be reliable from now on.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

That's funny that you picked the number 5 as an illustration! I was the last of 5 to get this Hunter's Edition that day LOL!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, one other thing! Other manf. riders think that Polaris riders are a bit snooty. They think, that we think, we are better. Well not me. I am not better than anyone! My quad might be![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Well, back up a minute my quad used to be! LMAO. To those individuals, I can assure you of this, I am definitely humbled now![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Range Rover

Tough luck, Instigator.... Ive got an 800 too but havent used it much yet. I gotta have faith though, having owned and abused many Polaris's in the past, that you just bought that one lemon out there. I wish you luck on the repairs, and hope your spirits will improve. Good luck!!

Old 06-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive got a little over 300 miles on mine and so far its ok. but thats not to say that it wont have problems. ill have to really pay attention to the matan. on this and see. i go out in an hr so i'll check.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the kind words. I feel like I am in a support group![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Um... Im Will, and Im a recovering quad addict...

the bolts arnt weak by any means, i jumped my 800, quite a bit between 1 and 2 feet of air, it never broke. possibly the bolts you got from the factory had hair-line cracks in them. good luck with getting it fixed, maybe you just didnt ride her how she likes it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned several Polaris and never had that problem. sounds like some abuse.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I figured someone would still claim abuse. You should check out my pic, so that you can better yourself on the topic of this poor design. I'll check with my dealer, I think he may be hiring someone with skills like you. That is nearly the exact qoute he gave me, when I dropped it off. If you can say that phrase, your hired! He said, he would have to "Investigate The Area" for damage, that may have been due to a tree or something like that! A tree? I know I am not a smart as him, but wouldn't there be something obvious? Like scratches, busted plastic, or a bent rim, or even bent A-arm? Well, that part is twisted, maybe you could call him and help him try to explain to me that the twisted arm caused the bolt to break. Instead of the truth, the broken bolt caused the arm to twist. Hey, while you got him on the phone you could ask him about future employment oppurtunities! I just remembered that I did hit a tree. It was in the middle of the trail. Next time, I will have my 6 year old jump off and move the sappling out of the way.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Help, Having doubts about my 800