Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

the grizzly now has 700 cc and power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the grizzly now has 700 cc and power steering

I stopped in today too. They also have longer suspension travel than before and higher ground clearance. The 5.3 gals of fuel makes me envious[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I wonder if beefed up the axles yet!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Trailblazer

Actually the Power steering on the new grizz is power steering. It is progressive too. Slower speeds=more assist and higher speeds there is less. I just read all about it on Yamahas web site. I dont think they would advertise power steering as a steering dampner anyway. That would be foolish as everyone would see right through it.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SVTPETE
Actually the Power steering on the new grizz is power steering. It is progressive too. Slower speeds=more assist and higher speeds there is less. I just read all about it on Yamahas web site. I dont think they would advertise power steering as a steering dampner anyway. That would be foolish as everyone would see right through it.
Read the test review on atvscene and you will see how it's like a damper more then a steering assist.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, while it is power steering, it also works as a steering dampner that actually makes the steering lighter instead of heavier. If you are jammin down a trail and hit a big rock or stump, that gearbox is going to hold the bars at the angle you already had them, but will lower steering effort in 4x or 4x w/ diff locked. Time will tell how durable this feature will be, but I applaud Yamaha for incorporating it. While only being a 686 maybe a let down, the other features built in will sell a ton of Grizzlies.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well, what do you expect from Yamy propaganda? Back when the Griz first came out they were claiming it had a “liquid cooled” engine and 11” of ground clearance. The “liquid” was motor oil (to rest of the world that means air-cooled) and it had about 7” of ground clearance as measured at the lowest point, the rear gear case. Talk about blatant lies in advertising! Not that I’ve ever been that impressed with their product line but that turned me sour right then and there.

“Power Steering” is interesting. Is it really hydraulic-assist like “real” power steering or just more smoke from Yamy. Hell, I can claim to give you “power steering” on your Sportsman with an Easy-Steer kit. It’s simple and bulletproof, requiring no complicated fragile hydraulic lines or robbing any horsepower from the motor to make it work.

It may be the catsass, I don’t know, but from past experience with the brand I gotta say “show me.” Don’t get the idea I’m bashing progress here. New innovations on any brand benefit us all by driving competition and improving all our rides. I’d really like to think Yamy has some fresh, new ideas in their ‘07 line-up, I just won’t take their word for it.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: floodrunner
Well, what do you expect from Yamy propaganda? Back when the Griz first came out they were claiming it had a “liquid cooled” engine and 11” of ground clearance. The “liquid” was motor oil (to rest of the world that means air-cooled) and it had about 7” of ground clearance as measured at the lowest point, the rear gear case. Talk about blatant lies in advertising! Not that I’ve ever been that impressed with their product line but that turned me sour right then and there.

“Power Steering” is interesting. Is it really hydraulic-assist like “real” power steering or just more smoke from Yamy. Hell, I can claim to give you “power steering” on your Sportsman with an Easy-Steer kit. It’s simple and bulletproof, requiring no complicated fragile hydraulic lines or robbing any horsepower from the motor to make it work.

It may be the catsass, I don’t know, but from past experience with the brand I gotta say “show me.” Don’t get the idea I’m bashing progress here. New innovations on any brand benefit us all by driving competition and improving all our rides. I’d really like to think Yamy has some fresh, new ideas in their ‘07 line-up, I just won’t take their word for it.
Check out the video up on atvscene about the power steering. It is not hydraulic at all, but rather an elctric motor assist. Also, it sounds like even if the assist breaks down, the new Grizz will still turn like any other atv currently available.

I guess I have never seen a marketing department that doesn't manipulate the facts some, which brand do you think has a 100% honest marketing department/firm?

Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the fact that its electrical makes me even more worried. an elecric actuator isnt going to last very long in a harsh environment.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

to me it just sounds like another headache down the road when it breaks and you need to replace it which costs $$

Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally posted by: spyder6
the fact that its electrical makes me even more worried. an elecric actuator isnt going to last very long in a harsh environment.
Like the Polaris front hubs? Or the digital dashes many machines have? Or the efi systems beconming more and more common? Just because something is electric doesn't mean it can't be designed to be durable in harsh environments. Weather this sytem is or not will be found out with time, but don't write it off so soon. Oh, btw, Honda has also announced an electric power steering system for thier own atv's.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you obviously dont understand my point. just because its electrical dosnt mean its a peice, the fact that it is an Electrical Actuator makes me worried. unless yamaha knows to really overbuild the actuator for the steering, that thing isnt going to last.

Quick Reply: the grizzly now has 700 cc and power steering