Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris high altitude riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris high altitude riding

Hey does anyone know if polaris dealers can reprogram your quad for high altitudes? I'm going to CO riding in a couple weeks and was told I could get my 800 efi reprogrammed and would run better out there?? I know the efi will do fine, but I was told the altitude still robs power from it. Any help?? Thanks!!

Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey I am going to Colorado next week. I don't have any ideas about your question, but as you say, the EFI should adjust everything to work fine. with my three quads, I will be re-jetting once we get there. We have a group of 15 people with all Polaris quads except for one Mule and my son's Yamaha dirt bike. One guys has a 700 EFI, so I will get to see how good that thing runs.

We are staying near Creede, so we will be at about 9,000 feet and will ride some trails above 13,000. Can't wait!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

I've noticed a small loss in power when I get over 10,000'. It hasnt been enough to make it a problem but I can still notice it. I figured it was just the nature of the beast when you get that high.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

its at very high alt. that your clutch needs to be adjusted, not your EFI. your EFI will compensate no matter where you go. its just that in some places the air is thin enough to where your clutch wont cool properly and you'll end up glassing your belt. i think its like 15,000 feet when you should adjust it

Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Shouldn't have to worry about your clutch then..... Pikes Peak is only 14000 ft....

Old 07-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was planning on doing some riding in Ouray Colorado with a 2001 500 HO. My question is if there is some adjustments I can make to the carb instead of doing a re-jet. I don't want to go through the trouble for a few days of riding. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Your bike will run. It won't be a top performer though. Just pull your plug when you get home and brush it. I used to live in Colorado Springs and I never rejetted or did anything special to either bike or car.....

Old 07-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, we just returned from our trip to Colorado. We stayed in Creede, but rode out of Lake City on the Alpine Loop towards Silverton, then rode to Wheeler Peak, Bristol Head, and Ruby Lake over teh next few days. The highest elevation w rode at was 13,000 feet according to my GPS. My two Scrambler 500 HO's ran great the whole time. No problems at all at the high altitude. These two quads have the Thunder Products Air Box vent installed and I had them open. I closed one of them one day when we were at 12,000 feet and I had a little sputtering. My Sportsman 400 had sever sputtering around 12,000 feet and above. since I have only had this quad a couple of weeks I did not have time to install the TP air box mod. My friends three Sportsman's also had some sputtering starting around 12,000. The other family in our ground had two Sportsman's with the EFI, which of course had not problems at all. The only thing I re-jetted was my son's Yamaha 125 dirt bike that I went from a 110 jet to a 95 and it ran great the whole time.

I will post a few pics and GPS points later if anyone is interested.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well we just returned today from CO. We rode up the passes around Tincup and Pitkin and up to flag mountain. I was VERY dissapointed with my 800's performance.... It ran about like a 500 with WAY less power... I even took the airbox lid off and ran it against another 800 with it on but made no difference. OH WELL!!!! It runs ok back here in Mississippi but is still underpowered... My brother's BRP 650 can spank me all the way from dead still to 65MPH....... UGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

You loose 3% of your horsepower every 1000ft of elevation. That's big when you are talkin 40hp...... So lets say you are at 10,000 ft, you just lost 30% of your hp or 12hp, that leaves you with a meager 28hp. When I'd go to Alabama from Colorado I used to smoke the tires on my Dodge by accident. Actually went to the dealer in Colorado Springs and complained of a loss in power while I lived there......... Even if you rejet, recalibrate, re anything.... It's just something you have to deal with at elevation.

Quick Reply: polaris high altitude riding