Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris high altitude riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris high altitude riding

I agree.. Not much you can do about the altitude.. The EFI will adjust as best as possible on its own.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

As has been stated the efi will adjust the mixture--- leaner to account for the loss of oxygen inherent with an increase in altitude. However with the loss of air/oxygen the motor loses power in the percentages more or less set forth above despite proper mixture. But since the engine produces less power/torque it cannot efficiently pull the weights/spring in a primary clutch set up for sea level. The weights are too heavy and/or the spring too light and therefore you must reclutch when significantly changing altitude, which I would say Miss. to CO is, or you will be unhappy with not only the inherent loss of power but the even greater loss of performance with improper clutching.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Guys polaris sends out reccomendations for riding at certain altitudes carbed models need to be re-jetting for higher elevations and both efi adn carbed machines should be reclutched for optimum performance.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, make sure you read the thread "X2 Flooding Issue"

There is a problem with certain 500 EFI machines at high altitude. I know the first time it happened to me I was not a happy camper or rider. But just so you are aware that there could be a problem and there are temp. fixes that will get it going again. On another forum I go to someone had the flooding issue and there were Polaris reps at a dealership trying to figure out the problem, so they are aware of it and hopefully working on a fix.