Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just installed Works Shocks up front of my 400 Scrambler 4x4. They said to use the stock springs with the new struts, but the stock springs are to short, and when I wheelie or jump, they dangle in the breeze, and sometines don't line up properly when loaded again. The new shocks gave me about another inche of travel.

I want to get new springs for the front, can anyone recomend aftermarket springs for this set up?

The Joka
400Scram

Old 11-26-2000, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

I just ordered the Works struts also.

I am receiving Hot Seats dual rate springs for my Scram this week too! They sell for about $299 front and rear. I saw them advertised in a mag and then called the company for more info. They are supposed to help from botomming out, tighter turning without leaning and better over-all performance in the bumps. They are said to be a tad stiffer in normal terrain but much better when it gets rough. Adjustable too.

If the Works are as good as everyone says, they should go great with the springs.

I can't wait!

Old 11-26-2000, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Xplor

You have ordered the Works shocks and the Hot Seat Springs? Are the springs for the front or rear or a set of 3 for $299?

I was thinking of a PEP rebuild for the rear.

I can't wait for your post when you have ridden it with them on!

The Joka
400Scram

Old 11-26-2000, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Joka,

I should get the Works in about 3 weeks.

I bought the dual rate springs off of a fellow rider who just wanted to change quads and had only about 8 hours ride time on them! (I can't complain) If I remember right, it's the whole kit: front and rear springs, for 299$.

I am planning on installing the springs with the stock struts...test em' and report back. Then pop the Works on a couple weeks later...test em' all together and report back!

I feel like a ten year-old before x-mas!!!

Old 11-26-2000, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

As for the rear strut/spring...the guy at Hot Seat and the magazine article said the dual rate Hot Seat spring with the stock fox strut keeps the rear end from "wandering" better than a whole stock set-up. The guy at Hot Seat also told me to wear out the stock strut before switching over to a new one...was he just being honest??? Who knows.

The guy at Works told me they are working on a rear strut for the Sport/Scram. From 400$ up to 700$...something like that. They are also working on remote resevoirs for the fronts for a relatively small price, but the strut housing must be machined for it to fit.

Brian

Old 11-26-2000, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Xplor

I have a 96 model, and I think the rear is worn out now.

I must ask them about the total kit for the rear! Likewise when I have them (If my wife allows, or maybe she doesn't need to know)I will report back what they are like.

What other mods you got on your Scrambler? I have just ordered a HPD roller clutch, and can't wait to get that on.

TheJoka
400Scram

Old 11-26-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

The Joka,

HPD Trail Pipe and clutch kit.
Aaen roller clutch.
V-Force 2 Reed valves.
Air Box mod with Uni filter.
Weisco Piston
Rear Bearclaws and Razrs up front.
CV boot guards from the Sportsman...keeps the crap off!

Future mods:
Porting
Billet Head 12:1
39mm Carb
Oversized rear rotor?
New sprockets

I am becoming a real fanatic!

Old 11-26-2000, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Good thing I got a deal on the springs...because my wife is about to kill me! She says I spend too much on my quad.

Some excuses I have told her so far:
"But Honey...the strut thingies are for my back and the company is making them custom just for me...it's worth the price. You don't want to be married to a hunchback, do you?"

"But dear...I need the new tires to keep me from getting hurt...the old ones were dangerous."

"But if I don't make my Scrambler faster my buddy will laugh at me." (thats a good one)

Brian

Old 11-26-2000, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

hot seat performance also sells new shocks up front that are supposed to be a lot better. there is an article in the latest atv sport.

Old 11-26-2000, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

Xplor

The best one is "I broke the old one", only to be used after the new part has arrived.

400 Scrambler
HPD Pipe
HPD clutch kit
Custom muffler
Works Shocks
K&N Filter
ITP Holeshots on alloy
Custom tie rods & rod ends
HPD stearing bush
Pro Design Super cooler
Pro Design Kill Switch

On order but not arrived yet