Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

throttle jumps around when i turn handle bars!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle jumps around when i turn handle bars!!!

alright. it hasnt been a good few months for my quad. i have a 98 polaris xplorer 300. well i havent ever had any problems with it until i went across a ditch a little too fast i guess and the back shock broke in half. well it took out my air box and also cracked my trans case. so i took all the plastic off and i did my best to seal up that crack and i cleaned and greases and oiled everything and i fired her up and it was idling pretty low. so i turned up the idle by the thumb throttle and i go to take off and i turn right and all of a sudden the rpms fly up and so turn strait and they are normal, and then i turn left and it dies on me! i dont have any plastic on it yet so i can see the whole cable. its not kinked or stretched or anything. i have no idea. Also i was curious is it common for these machines to "wine" when they are going down the road? i havent been around alot of these to know. Thanks a ton!!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

You need to adjust the idle on the carb itself. Then go back and readjust the cable by the throttle so it doesn't make any adjustments to the rpm when you turn.

The whinning is coming from the clutch. Could be a normal sound, not familiar with that model. I know mine does whine some, but just when it's going into the downshift.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey, Mine whines aswell, I have a 98 scrambler 400, I think its kind of common for them to do this. my 01 sportsman 500 also seems to wine. The idle adjustment screw is on theright side of the carb, it is a philips head screw driver, screwing it inward will raise the idle, screwing it outward will lower idle. Make sure you adjust the throttle cable back out to where you had it before. Never try adjusting the idle of full throttle operation by the throttle itself unless you have to because all adjustments are maxed out on the carb and it wont go full throttle because the cable is too tight. Hope this helps, Brian P.S. for cracks on whatever you broke, go out to the store and buy some JB WELD, mix the tubes 50 50 and spread it onto the crack, make sure the surface is clean(usebrake cleaner if you have too, works great!) and scuff the surface up a little to ensure it will. then put a heat lamp on it for a while for it to set up quicker so it doesnt go in the holes and then wait overnight.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i think you may be right. i jb welded the trans case just like was explained but i let it sit for 2 days and then i flushed it incase there is any goo or metal in there. seems to be just fine. but when i was looking a little closer it looks like the lock nut on top of the carb that holds the cable in place has come loose. and it is probably totally out of adjustment now since i have been messing with it. So can anyone tell me a good starting point in adjusting this cable or is it just a hit and miss type thing? thanks alot for all your help!

Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Try to let a bit of play in the throttle.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cable is too tight.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, what Scooter said. You adjust the idle at the carb. You adjust the cable at the cable. Your cable is too tight.