Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Emission Controls for ATV's!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't seen the article yet, the EPA is planning on putting emission controls on ATV's. Guess what two stroke fans, you are first in their sights. If you value your two stroke or your atv in general for that matter, I encourage you to go to this website and email them a comment. For the benefit of the sport, please make your comments logical and non-demamatory or they won't even read them.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/largesi/f00046.htm

I just can't imagine what the cost of emissions devices on an atv will do to the price of a new atv. If anyone as any good facts concerning atv emissions compared to other vehicles, please post these also. I would like to know how many atv's it takes to equal the pollution from Air Force 1 and 2 flying around the country for campaign and fundraising stops.

Old 11-28-2000, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

This makes me puke (poor keyboard ).
Those....aaaaaah I just can't believe it. You know what...the ways to reduce air pollution are so easy to solve...they just cost. They want to slow down the recreational industry because they don't understand how we can have fun this way. They want to reduce air pollution...how? easy.
Go to the nearest street of your city (preferably a big one for big effects)...and wait and SMELL. Oh, it stinks, I open my eyes...what do I see? A firefighter truck...going for his 5min drive across town to see that it was a child's joke, the statue of liberty isn't burning. The truck has burnt at least 2 gallons of fuel (since he was driving flat out)...
Another stinking odour...the same, but an ambulance
Now I open my eyes because I hear a potentially pollutent machine, a SPORTS bike...not an antiquated Harley with fuel wasting carbs, a sports and fast fuel injected CBR1100....did you notice, you didn't smell anything bad, and I guess you'd have noticed that the bike is faster, lighter than the firefighter truck, and the engine displacement is probably a 6.5L old generation turbodiesel V8, versus a recent 1.1L, that will run at his maximum...almost never.
I'm tired of standing still. Let's take a walk.
Oh, a nice city bus, now that's great to reduce air pollution...put 40 people in what pollutes as 50 cars...and a bus doesn't always go around full...
Nice one, this time, a train....wow, lots of people can enter this stuff...and each wagon (each little "trailer") has its own heater or I don't know what...and this is really impossible to breathe unless you're 200m away (actual personal experience, I thought I was gonna die!!).
I'm looking everywhere to see a Honda insight or Toyota Pryus (Prius?)...not even one. What's the deal? They don't look uglier than a civic, and the emissions are real low...18000$? OK. That's way too much in my opinion...why doesn't the government a tax refund or whatever reward for buying these cars? BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH...THEY ONLY WANT MORE MONEY (this makes me puke again). Don't tell there isn't enough $$...just build less death machines and you'll quickly save BIG $$$.
Why don't the cities get electric or gaz (liquid petrol gaz...don't know the actual name) busses and trains...and who would get hurt breathing electric trucks emissions? Not me!
This is a sad thing...the state has more and more control on you, what you have, what you want...
It really looks like EPA only sees their statistics sheets (or ****s?...the same), and NEVER look behind the paper sheet to see what is fuel efficient and what's not, but most of all, how much time the NFEV (Non Fuel Efficients Vehicle) spend "polluting"...not much eh?
I hate those old guys with their butt on their leather seat all day long saying what is right and what's not..I truly really hate them!

Old 11-28-2000, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya! We have emission controls on everything here, tractors included. I am begenning to wonder if the government doesn't hire people to go around the country, looking out for people who are having harmless fun, and figuring out a way to stop them. Before long the only thing allowed will be hiking, but not if you ate beans the day before.

Old 11-28-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a redicules proposed plan,leave the little guys alone.Alls newer pollution devices will do is further raise the price of our toys more away from our pocket books and keep familys from sharing outside rec time together,---BOO---
Bill

Old 11-28-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

so i guess they will want to put catalatic converters on our quads. next theyll want to put them on chainsaws and line trimmers.maybee going to EFI would help emmisons.

thats just another thing to add weight to the machine and adds cost.

later
jon

Old 11-28-2000, 06:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree.....these same people have forced everyone nationwide to burn gasoline that delivers 3% less fuel economy and delivers 3% less performance.

Old 11-28-2000, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Can I get a HELL YA!

Old 11-28-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I read in an article about ORV pollution that the average 2 stroke motorcycle engine puts out more pollution than over 100 cars while a 4 stroke puts out like 6 or 7 times the amount of carbon monoxide of a new car. I really find that hard to believe but I suppose it's possible. It seems though that overall the number of atvs and motorcycles has to be relatively small as compared to the number of automobiles. Right now we have to have our cars tested for emissions every year so it sounds like I'll be loading up the quads for their annual test in the future. Next it'll be my lawnmower I guess. Pretty soon the atv engines will all be computer controlled like our car engines and it'll cost an arm & a leg to have an atv technician adjust our fuel injection system. All the while, nearby factories are blowing who knows what into the air from their smokestacks. I would think the EPA would be better off spending their funds on monitoring the compliance of these huge factories.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Whats this gonna do?????????

Just cost us more money $$$$$ b/c your gonna have people tearing it off directly after the quad is purchased(me included).

EC

Old 11-28-2000, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Think again.
I saw an article presented on the news about 3 weeks ago. They were talking about new laws and stiffer regulations regarding motorcycle emmisions (in Canada). Since it is fact, that atvs out sell motorcycles in north america, I believe (unfortunatly) that the same type of thinking is not far behind for our sport. They compared one (1) harley davidson to three hundred twenty three (323) honda civics, yes, thats no typo 323. No s***. I can't even imagine how many hondas there would be if the harley was a 2-stroke

Quick Reply: Emission Controls for ATV's!!!!