Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan problem

I am fixing a 96 SP 500 for a friend and so far I have replaced the fan motor, thermo switch on top of radiator and put in new coolant. I ran it for awhile and the hot light came on and the fan did not come on. Does the thermo switch on the radiator turn the fan on or does the one in the cylinder turn it on? What else could be the problem?

Old 07-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

Make sure that you have enought antifreeze in it. If the fan sensor is on the top of the rad it might not have enought there to tell it to come on. If it is on the bottom of the rad you just might have an air lock. If it is an air lock take the rad cap off and squeeze the bottom water line multiple times to get it out. The sensor on the engine block is only for the hot light.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

Well I did add more antifreeze and ran it again and still did the same thing. I then unplugged the 2 wires that plug into the top of the radiator and put a wire to connect to them and still nothing. The fan motor is brand new. Also just to let you know when I got the wheeler the plug was busted on top of the radiator so they had the wires plugged into each other. Wouldn't this make the fan run constantly when they turned the key on? Maybe that is why the old fan burned out or is there a connection that might be bad because of it? Not really an electrician so try to keep any response simple. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

Ok, I talked to a buddy at work and looking at the wiring diagram he thinks it might be a circuit breaker that popped. So does anyone know where the fuse would be for the fan? Is it strapped to the frame? I would appreciate any help on locating this thing so I don't have to tear the wheeler apart.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fan problem

well that raises my question - I have been poking around most parts of my atv and not seen a fuse OR a circuit breaker [ie a circuit breaker with a normal reset switch after it pops]

maybe it is a type of auto reset breaker??

can anyone tell me?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

Well I looked around today and there was no fuse or cicuit breaker. The wires just ked to the circuit board underneath the pod. It did seem a little corrosive so I will try to get that cleaned up and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan problem

The circut breaker is back by the battry should be sealed in a black plastic pouch.
Check the fan motor by jumping the wires.You know the hot light is working.
Loosen the small bolt on top of the head,fill radiator until fluid comes out hole and no air.
Check radiator to see if it is packed full of mud or debries.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

FTWFLH, Thanks for the reply. I followed the wires and they didn't go back to the circuit breaker. There was a red/wht one from the circuit board to the plug into the fan and 2 wires ran to the Thermo switch on radiator. There is also a brown/tan wire that hooked upto the fan with the red/wht wire and that led back to the circuit board. I have lights but could it still be the circuit breaker by the battery? Not an electrician so please bare with me. The fan is brand new so that should be good as is the thermal switch. Were exactly is this bolt on top of the cylinder that you fill? It isn't the bolt that holds the hose barcket coming in is it? The radiator is dirt free. I took it out and soaked it and cleaned it really good. Thanks for your help again.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan problem

Sorry I was thinking of the 400 motor on the bolt on the head.
Jump a hot wire to the brown wire on the fan and be sure the fan is working even if it is new.If it does replace the sensor in the radiator.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

The fan and the sensor in the radiator is brand new which leads me to believe it might be an electrical issue on the wheeler side.

Quick Reply: Fan problem