Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan problem

have you simply put a multi meter across the feed TO the t/stat and fan [while IGN is on]??

can buy a globalised made in China MM for $10 these days

put on 20 V DC range and see if you get 12V

Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

DOC, you are speaking Greek to me. When it comes to electrical I am ignorant. I did disconnect the thermo switch from the radiator and place a paper clip to the 2 ends with the ignition on and nothing happened. I think it might be corrisve in the plugs and was thinking of cutting the old ones out and put in new ones. I know the circuit board underneath the headlight pod is really dirty also.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

What would happen if the battery was installed the wrong way? I left the key on this morning and when I went to look at the battery I noticed the writing was facing the inside of the bike. I had to leave for work so I didn't get to check to see if he had it hooked upright but I don't think it was. What would it do to the bike? It starts when the battery is full and the lights come on. Would the fan possibly not work because of this? What kind of damage would it do to the wheeler?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Fan problem

You need power to run the fan. The fan switch in the radiator works by heat. When it gets hot it makes connection. Connect the 2 wires that go to that switch. The fan should come on. You say still no fan. Then one of 2 things are happening. Either you have a bad fan motor, or you don't have power to the fan. You should get a test light and check for power and ground. A volt meter will work but if it is a bad connection then the meter may read good voltage but there may not be enough current getting to it.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

I am thinking it is no power to the fan because the motor is brand new. If the battery was put in backwards would the fan still work? I think it might be corrosive connection. It shows on the diagram a 10a circuit breaker or fuse but the only thing I see is a male plug from the fan going into a female plug that goes to the circuit board. There is no inline fuse that I have found anyways. I think I have a test light and will have to check that out. I am really hoping the battery was put in backwards and that is all it is.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Fan problem

if battery reversed NUTHIN would work [and you could damage electonics, but maybe Polaris were smart enough to put in a protection for that]

also if you put a clip across the supply to fan that WILL trip the breaker [like that is what it is there for to stop short circuits causing a fire]

Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

I pulled the 2 red/wht wires out of thermo switch in the radiator and put a paper clip to connect the 2 wires and turned the key on. The fan did not work. Where would the breaker be?

Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fan problem

I got it to work! The wire leading to the Thermo switch on the radiator was corroded pretty bad. I slice a couple inches down to get to good wire. Well after dicking around with the wire everything tested good but the fan still wasn't moving so I took a painters stir stick and nudged the fan and she took off. Maybe someone can explain it to me. Thanks for all your help.