Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 vs Wolverine 450?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 vs Wolverine 450?

i thinking about selling my 02 warrior. but im not sure. i went to the dealer and they offered me 2000 for trade in.
But it was yamaha dealer. the polaris dealer was offering 1800. the yamaha dealer doesnet even stock the Wolverine. they say it doesent sell well enough for them to stock it. my only option is a yfz or Raptor
my reason for selling is the fact i dont ride it as much as my other quads. but i may ride it again soon to help me decide if i really want to get ride of it. what i like most about the scambler 500 and my other atvs is the auto trans on them. also the engine in the scarmbler almost the same one in my 500 H.O Sportsmen. i think i shoud try selling the warrior in the atv add or ebay. i will admit riding the warrior again might my change mine because ive looking at
the kn air filter with the clamp on kit and a fmf pipe and jet kit. to get some more speed. i dont mind the manual clutch but the thought of using it on big hills and slopes doesnt go well.
the only thing Ive done to warrior on the of mods is ITP Holeshot Xcr tires witch i will admit they ride all right
I really i like the way the warrior handle on the field type trails.
another option i'm considering is a z400

Old 07-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i have a 04 scrambler and it's a blast in the trails and i still enjoy riding it..but after awhile now i feel like i'm ready for a lighter, faster quad that can handle what i dish out alittle better then the scrambler can

i'd take the scrambler over a Woverine anyday, it has more power

but i'd take a Z400 over the scrambler if ur already riding a manual, Z's are great quads too and they can be modded to keep up with the best of em

Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I struggled with the same question. Wolverine or Scrambler. My wife, fortuanately made the decision for me.... She bought me the scrambler. I am a Yamaha fan and have a big bear that has been rolled, and still starts with a quick push of the starter. I've only changed the oil and air flter. I enjoy the scrambler and have adjusted to the automatic transmission; eventhough I have to change the freakin belt every 3 months. Why must I have to change the belt so frequently???? The dealer tells me that I should use low gear more often............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Old 07-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unles you smoke a belt by not useing it correctly they will last .My 02 Scrammy is on the second belt and then only because I got one cheap and carry the old one for a spare.
The way most abuse a belt is hold the brake and give it gas.Or (I have done this) get hung on a or between logs where the tires cant turn and smoke one.You can tell when you are getting a belt in a bind.And the dealer that told you to use low gear on a Scrambler must be a joke.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: flyinscrammy
I struggled with the same question. Wolverine or Scrambler. My wife, fortuanately made the decision for me.... She bought me the scrambler. I am a Yamaha fan and have a big bear that has been rolled, and still starts with a quick push of the starter. I've only changed the oil and air flter. I enjoy the scrambler and have adjusted to the automatic transmission; eventhough I have to change the freakin belt every 3 months. Why must I have to change the belt so frequently???? The dealer tells me that I should use low gear more often............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................
Scrammys don't have a low range....if you have to replace your belt that often, you are damaging it some how. I've seen 2000-4000 miles on belts before.

The most comon way to damage a belt is to pull, push something to heavy in high range.(etc. plow snow,pull a loaded trailer)

It boils down to:

Too much load with to high of a gear.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

the only load is myself. I don't pull or push anything, that's what my big bear is for. The belt.... No mud bogging, no pulling, why would you put the brakes on and push the gas? Don't get me wrong, I still love my scrammy. I still gotta go buy another belt this weekend. I found an aftermarket belt that is supposed to be stronger.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

you said that you have moddified the transmission meaning the clutches. you have to go to the dealer and have them put on a special tool to align the clutches again. after the belt will last for a while

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i'm on my second belt and i ride the **** out of my scrambler

i cant believe u've replaced them w/in 3 months! thats crazy!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I still have my origional belt on my 2000 Scrammy. I have pulled my monte carlo race car w/ out a tranny/engine (about 2200 lbs) with it, pulled branches, plowed snow, creek ridden, mud bogged, and trail rode with it and it is still ok. You must have a problem w, your clutches......

Old 08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dirt Wheels did an article on this very topic about 3 issues ago. They picked both bikes apart. They both have there strengths and weaknesses so its up to you to determine the better atv for your situation. It was a good article and very informative. They chose the wolverine to be better. So did I.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 vs Wolverine 450?