Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N Drop In/Replacement for the 500 Sportsman!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Drop In/Replacement for the 500 Sportsman!!!

Hey all, as I stated in my first post I'm a happy owner a 2006 500 Sportsman EFI with the 14" Wheel Kit and Kenda Bounty Hunter Tires. I will update my profile on here with pics and info as soon as I get some time on my hands, LOL.
Anyway another question, I noticed as I'm reading alot of the post on here that alot of folks have the K&N Replacement Filter for the 800/700/500 Sportsman's. I'm thinking of purchasing one, just curious to know if anyone has an Idea of performance improvement with this mod. Obviously it will last the life of the ATV and save money in purchasing replacement filters, but was more after the numbers or specs if anyone know's them or know's where to find them online. Again just curious,,,figured someone on here knew where I could find out. Personal Oppinions are welcome as well,,,,Thanks much

Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have a kn filter on my kfx400 and it is very good. Did you go on there website? I think it is

www.knairfilters.com I'm pretty sure it is if not do a google search Good luck with your 500 oh it saves a little gas milage picks up dust an dirt a lot and adds about 2-3 hp

Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a bunch rtboy, I appreciate the feedback very much!!! Yes I was on there website and looked around just wanted to see what folks out here had to say about them, figured it would be a little less biased!!!! LOL

Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

was just on their web site myself. while they talk about performance gains and improved fuel economy, they don't post any #'s. I've often seen claims of up to 15% improved HP and torque .. but to me that's a bit silly from a simple filter.

Does anyone have any reliable data on what the filter really acheives in the real world?

Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I would not waist your money. The filter is not a good ATVs. I would use a 2 stage foam filter. They flow as well as the K&N but do a better job stopping the dirt and dust. IMO they don't trap enough drite to keep your intake clean. It not a huge issue with carbed bikes but it will kill an EFI bike. It also increases the amount of PMs you have to do on your intake not to mention the filter maintenance. I've owned them and it just not worth the agravation.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

let the filter wars begin. =/

Old 07-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

indeediy ... I'll probably just stick with the poooolaris filter in any case

I didn't buy this bike for the performance anyway

Old 07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

I was happy to help

Old 07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I guess I started something here,,,LOL!!! Now I'm a little concerend though, I just went and purchased the K&N Filter along with the K&N Precharger for it. Mad Matt are the K&N's really that bad on the EFI's??? I never would have guessed that. I have a K&N Intake and filter on my truck which is an EFI and I'm tickled to death with it. I mean I realize this is an ATV and not a truck, just very hard to belive. I will admit I'm new at this and that's why I come to you guys for your opinions. Mad Matt, do you think it will be alright if I run the K&N now since I purchased it??? I don't wanna do anything to mess this brand new 500 up. I just figured by reading these post that the K&N was it, because it seems like everyone and the brother has one listed on the Mod list's. I also figured that with the precharger it would be more then enough protection for the quad. Any more Opinions????

Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

You won't see a power gain really from the filter. But you will pay for it by time you could buy 2 or 3 stock paper filters. They do a good job too. No complaints and the cleaner kits are only bout 12-14 bucks at a autoparts store. They kits will last a while too.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop In/Replacement for the 500 Sportsman!!!