Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Considering 2006 500HO Carb Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2006 500HO Carb Have Questions

Did the 06's have any improvements over the 05's?
The EBS is an option for the carb version, what are the pros/cons of EBS? I have read where some prefer not to have EBS for low end grunt, and because the EBS is sketchy at best (something about 2 wheel only). I have also read where some really like the EBS feature. It is a $300 option, and cost is not an issue.

I'm reluctant to consider the EFI version because it is so new. I have read some owners of these have had some annoying minor problems....stalling, overheat lights, etc. The price is not much more and it comes standard with EBS and better tires. ANy input on the EFI version would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone? Getting close to deciding on the carb'd 500ho. Would like input on the ebs option. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased my first ATV, a '06 Sportsman 500 H.0. carb model about two months ago. I apted for the carb model because the EFI that I got to test ride stalled twice on me while coming to a stop. Later, got to thinking that maybe I would avoid having to worry about fuel pump, sensors and such going bad. It was after making my decision to buy carb model that I read here on the forum about similar problems with EFI model that I experienced.

I also opted for the EBS system. I was able to test ride two 500 models, the EFI with EBS and the H.O. without EBS on a steep sand hill. I prefered the way the EBS would allow me to coast slowly down the hill without having to use the brakes. The non-EBS seemed to freewheel down the hill and the brake had to be applied to keep from going too fast. Where I ride in northern lower peninsula of Michigan there are some pretty fair hills that I have had to decend and the EBS gives me much more confidence. When I purchased EBS, Polaris had program where I upgraded to EBS for $100. The dealer installed it for me free.

I have not had a issue of only having rear wheel EBS, the decents have been slow and controlled. Had to learn throttle management because when you take your thumb off the throttle it slows down very quickly. I hardly use my brakes at all.

In my opinion if most of the riding you will do is on mostly flat terrain the non-EBS model will be a good choice. If your riding includes long, steep decents then you may want to consider EBS. If you can, try to ride both models, it is a personal choice between the two, and there is a difference in how both machines handle.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks TimmyDee!! I appreciate the response. I will try and ride both. ----wooderson

Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the 450 because of the carb. My dealer added the ebs for free. He had no 500ho carbs in stock or I would have probably went that route. I rode with and without the ebs. I prefer with it. It acts similar to the yamaha system on the bruin. I think it's a matter of personal preference. Enjoy!

Old 08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have had carb 500's and now the 500 efi. I had some problems with it because it was one of the first one's built. All the bugs have been taken out and runs great. It does have lots more power than the carb as well. I would not buy an atv without ebs. I was not too crazy about it at first but once you get used to it nothing else will do. You will go through more brake pads without it. The efi out here is only about $300-$400 more. Now would be the time to get a carb if that is what you really want because it is a thing of the past. They would not be getting rid of the carb if the efi was not reliable. I would not go back.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TimmyDee

In my opinion if most of the riding you will do is on mostly flat terrain the non-EBS model will be a good choice. If your riding includes long, steep decents then you may want to consider EBS. .

That is good advice. I like the EBS because of all the steep hills in Ky.

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gates59
The efi out here is only about $300-$400 more.
That could be true but it will cost you a hell of a lot more than that in the long run.

If you are the type that trades for a new machine every year or two the EFI may be fine.

If you keep the EFI quad for a few years the costs of repairs will be ten times that of a carb model.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

How do you figure it is going to cost more in the long run. Like I said if the efi were going to break down often why would polaris only make them now. There is only a few extra sensors on them, a pdm and an injector. Well an injector is alot cheaper than a carb. Probably even cheaper to buy than to clean a carb. A few sensors can't cost much if you replace yourself so what is the big deal.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

A carb can run for years with little or no maintainence.

On a Polaris after a few years you may or may not have to replace the slide needle and nozzle or the float needle and seat.

These parts are not expensive.

The diaphram pump for the carb very seldom fails. In working on Polaris ATV's since 1991 I have replaced ONE.

EFI parts are expensive and if you assume you will never need any of these parts you are living in a fantasy world.

Quick Reply: Considering 2006 500HO Carb Have Questions