Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Axle Bearing Dilemma, Need Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Bearing Dilemma, Need Your Thoughts

OK guys, I'm very angry at the present time, but I'm going to try to be as neutral as possible here. I have a 2000 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4, and my rear axle bearings went out in early July. I've owned the machine since 2001, and with the hard abuse it gets, I'm surprised they lasted for 5 years. No problem. I brought my machine to a local non-Polaris dealer (cheaper labor rate) to have the bearings replaced. They replaced the bearings with stock OEM Polaris ones, and they also replaced the rear axle housing. The actual parts replaced: 2X Bearing Cap, 2X Bearing Tapper, 2X Seal, 2x O-Ring, 1x Housing-Axle Rear (Mach). 3 hours labor.

Now, the interesting part. After 5 HOURS of operation since the replacement, at least one of the rear axle bearings has failed AGAIN. Now, it has been a very hot July, and I had the Scrambler out exactly twice last month. Once for four hours where I took two jumps (and landed smoothly, didn't case anything), and then once this last Saturday for one hour with no jumping (only one hour because that's when the bearing failed).

I was informed by the owner that their mechanic told him the bearings failed because "it was jumped". They said Polaris will not stand behind bearings, even with only a month elapsed between the time they were purchased and the time they wore out. Yet, they have already ordered a new set of OEM Polaris Bearings instead of looking aftermarket. At this point, I have told them to halt any more work on the ATV.

Some observations and questions I have:

- I can understand replacing rear axle bearings often when an ATV is being used for extreme duty. I could even understand every few years, but FIVE HOURS? Something is amiss here.

- How many years (or hours) have you gotten out of a set of Polaris OEM Rear Axle Bearings?

- Would improper installation of the axle bearings cause them to go out in FIVE HOURS? If so, how could one "foul it up" to cause them to wear that quickly?

- If the installation was correct on the bearings to begin with, what do you think the repair shop's responsibility should be to the customer? Free labor on the next set? No discount at all? Repair Shop eats the whole cost?

I would like to keep a positive business relationship with this company, but the conversation I had with them regarding this issue seemed like it was full of "the company line" and contradiction.

Please, give me your honest opinion. I'm not here for sympathy -- rather any facts, real-world experience, or advice that you may have for me at this point.

Thanks a ton!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

I think somthing was wrong on re-assembly. There is a snap ring that clips on the axle. Sometimes this gets knocked off or broken if the bearings have failed and been run some. If this clip isnt put back, it wont stay together.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Didnt read the whole post, I got the original bearings in my 98. They need to be snugged up from time to time, And I grease after every ride.
Did they even pack the bearings with grease?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Whitedog, thanks a lot for the response. Guys, please keep them coming...

The zirk fitting on the axle housing had a good glob of grease showing when I received it back from the dealer, so I _assumed_ (yes, i know what that means) that they had applied sufficient grease. I do not know if they actually packed the bearings by hand before their installation or not.

I had maintained my stock rear axle bearings by greasing before ever ride, and they lasted 5 years. 5 hours and "they're worn out" and no support from this company is close to an outrage.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Just to update...

The LH Rear Bearing is the one that failed. I took some high-resolution shots of primarily the LH Bearing Cup and Cone, along with what I believe is an axle spacer of some sort. Have a look and let me know if there is any obvious conclusions to be made (besides the fact it's destroyed)...

http://kliers.net/atv/bearings

Click on any of the pictures to view a very high-resolution version. Some of them get a little blurry if you zoom in.

I DID notice that one of the bearings is a Timken bearing made in the USA, and the other one is a Peer bearing made in China. Does Polaris routinely get OEM bearings from different manufacturers?

Keep the comments coming please, guys...

Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would probobly say that your BRGS were installed incorectly judging by your pics. Looks like the "spacer" was eating your brg. Definitly installed incorrectly IMO

Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

looks like the bearings didnt have enough grease. also nut that tightenes axle takes very little torque approx 12 ft lbs and check for binding after tightening to much toqure can cause bearings to go bad really quickly

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

I still have org bearings in my scrambler too 98. It looks as it was over tighten an it heated up look like there is a blue mark going around the one piece witch mean exevie heat. Improper instalation

Old 08-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

I would have to say that it appears to be the mechanics fault. Either he didnt assemble it correctly or he should have replaced more of the components.Their full of crap about the jumping. 5 hrs is nothing. This is a classic example of why i hate having work done by someone else. Fine if you screwed up , but dont try to blame it on me.

If you can i would take the bearing to a place that specializes in bearings and show them the blue ring on the cup/race and get their opinion.

As far as the two differant name brand bearing goes: I replaced both front wheel bearings once before which i had purchased from a bearing dealer and he gave me two differant ones like you got.I asked the guy what was up with that and he said that there are many differant manufactures and it all depends who was "tooled up" at the time to make them and it makes no differance as long as their the correct size.
By the way , polaris wanted $13 a peice for the bearings i needed , i bought them at Gipson for $5 each.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like the "mechanic" screwed the pooch on that one. Might mention to the shop you've taken the parts to a bearing shop (as recommended before) and tell them their opinion of what happened.

Might also mention attorney fees and court costs too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Bearing Dilemma, Need Your Thoughts