Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Blazer Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 11:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've got a 00 TrailBlazer. Of course it's just not fast enough now that I've had it a while and I'm tired of getting my pants beat off by my brother on his 400.

I'm about to go ahead and do the Mod thing. Probably going to talk to Rick Ritter about his Stage 1 kit for starters.

I realize I will probably never beat a 400 no matter what I do, but I'd at least like to be able to hang close by.

Dennis Shotwell claims he can get me close by doing the clutch, pipe, porting and head, reed kit, lightened flywheel and such. But I'd really like to hear from someone who owns a TB and has done some mods and see what kind of experience they've had.

Old 11-30-2000, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

That all sounds good, and has been tested and works well. (Minus the reeds) TB's don't run reeds. (YET)

Old 11-30-2000, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

Oops, my mistake on the reeds. Here is what Dennis has done -

"porting (I call it race porting).34mm carb with a UFO (Flow Optimizer).Hot seat pipe and Clutch kit. Exhaust temp gauge. Lightened flywheel (I take 1lb 2oz off the flywheel)"

Anyone have any recommendations on the Hot Seat pipe and clutch kit verses RCR's?

Old 12-01-2000, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I know everyone has there on opinion on which set up is best. I'd like to see a compairison and some proof as to why you all think one is better than the other performance wise.

I've checked out a lot of sites (RCR, Dynoport,HPD, Hotseat, Choppercity, ect..) and I see that RCR appears to be cheaper at $325 while most of the others are near the $400 mark or more just for a clutch kit and pipe...is there a catch to the RCR kit...less power, less clutch tuning parts, ect...???

Old 12-01-2000, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

I posted a thread awhile back trying to get comparisons on various types of mods. All you had to do was measure out a 300 foot strip and have someone time you. Then with all the different times and mod set-ups we should get a good idea on what works best. Nobody was interested!!!

Old 12-03-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

talonhawk,

It seems like very few people are interested in saying anything about modding a Trailblazer, except of course some of those smarta$$ people saying buy a 400.

I'd really like to see some stuff on them. Maybe there just aren't many 250 owners in this forum.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I own one...but I ahvent doen anything to mine so I cant help=(

Old 12-03-2000, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Duster,
I think they are out there but choose to remain silent because the TB is refered as a beginners quad. Alot of people buy it for the wife, girlfriend or kids. Its no 400 granted but at $3,100.00 its a very good buy. With people like Rick Ritter at RCR and Daryl at HPD the demands for performance mods will grow and these guys seem to be there with the mods. HPD has a reed cage package in the works that will kick out 36hp at the crank. I think a stock 400 is 34 or 36hp. So if HPD's reed cage comes in at a decent price you could have the power of a 400 minus the weight and still be under the $4900 price.

Old 12-03-2000, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

The thing behind the RCR pipe is that the "clutch kit" is simply a primary replacement spring. I went w/ the RCR kit on my 400 to begin w/ and have since completed many more modifications. Ricks pipe is just as great as the rest, but a real full blown clutch kit will cost you. Thats why the pipe and clutch from HPD alone cost you $400. The pipes are equal but the RCR spring V/S the Agressive clutch kit (primary and secondary springs, weights, and helix) is where you get the big price jump. The HPD kit is going to do a MUCH better job at putting the new power to the ground.
Its all in what you want. I went with the RCR kit b/c I swore that the kit was all I would ever do. Well like I say......."Power is like sex, once you break the barrier and get a little, all you want is more!"

If you really want to "do it to it", I would vote for holding up and waiting on the HPD conversion kit and drop some $$ into that Blazer. Some people may see it as a beginers quad, but it can be made to haul some "YanG"

Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

EC

Old 12-04-2000, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I think the reason you do not hear of alot of mods for the TB is because when you look at it there are very few mods to give it alot of improvement. A few year ago HPD did expament an tryed to get as much Hp from the 250 he could an he made a pipe that made lots of hp an he did a ratical porting job to it. The one guy I knew who rode it said it was fast an had good power. The reason it is not out the to have done is because they could not get any reliablity for it. Would lean itself out when you let of the gas. The best mod for a Tb is to lighten it up the motor is way to easy to pull start so get rid of the eletric start. I have a 95 TB an I think as far as TB's gose mine is fast. But then mine is used in motocross in a small track. pics of it are at Lruch's web site or at http//:briefcase.yahoo.com/x_scrambler3

Quick Reply: Trail Blazer Mods