Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEED HELP FAST ON PREDATOR 500!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP FAST ON PREDATOR 500!!!

I'm going riding this saturday, but my fourwheeler is having some issues. I recently made a new intake that breaths a lot better and it uses a car air filter so It's getting a lot more air than it's used to, and now I think it might be running too lean. It suppsedly already has a dynojet jet kit in it, so i though I would try to richen out the mixture screw. It turned it counter clockwise a few times, but the engine is still starting to sputter, once I hit high rpms. You do turn the screw counterclockwise on the stock Predator carb, right? Or is it one of those backwards vacum opperated carbs? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the mixture screw is for idle only, its not in effect for any use of throttle. you'll need to remove the carburator and change the main jet. if you have a stock exhuast i would say something along the lines of a 160 main, and then adjust your fuel needle clip and you should be good. for someone that runs high performance banshee's, you dont know much about carburators (and dont give us the 2-stroke 4-stroke bullchit, they work the same way)

Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

spyder why do you need to bust his *****?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

I run a factory 4 slip on. And if you don't know that a vacum operated carburator like that on the predator, is different than that on a banshee, then I think you're the one that doesn't know about carbs. And my banshee carb has a seperate mixture screw for high rpms which is different than the idle mixture screw. And seriously man, I was just asking a question, you don't have to always be busting my *****.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

im not busting your *****, i gave you your required information, but every time you say you know things about quads, but then when someone steps in and points out a flaw in whats said you come back with a, im new to 4-strokes. its just irritating.

since your running a performance exhuast you'll need to step up a few incraments on your jetting requirements. it would probebly be a good call to buy a dynojet kit and replace the fuel needle in your vaccume and start fresh on your main jets. if you could further describe your new intake setup, that would be good. do you have no airbox or are you running a different style filter through your stock box and intake tube? if your running no airbox you will probebly in the 170-180 vacinity for main jets. i reccomend starting at a 170 and playing with the fuel needle and see if there is any hesitation throughout the power band, run it good. if you get too rich under heavy throttle you'll have black soot coming out of your can. if you can check your plug it should be paper bag brown. on my preddy i run a 175 main jet with a round K&N filter for a sportsman 800 clamped to the carb throat and a Whitebros E-series with no baffles, and wheni i get on it hard, there is a very very little amount of soot, which is good in a sence. better running rich than lean.

your best way, however, would be to take your carburator off and send it to Nicholas Cycle (www.nicholascycle.com) for their Carburator Race work. they can get you ALOT more power out of the stock preddy carb and its the most work you can do (along with a Rath Racing header) before having to do engine work.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info man, to be more specific about the intake, i made it myself using 3 inch staninless pipe and i used a rubber 3" to 2.5" reducer fitting from pepboys to attach it to the carb, the other end runs directly into a K&N that we used to have on our durango. So it is litterally a straight pipe with a filter on it. No airbox or anything, i mounted the hoseclamp That I clamped the filter on with directily to the frame. Also, I was looking at the Custom carb tuning from Nicholas Cycle, like you were talking about, but besides installing jets, what else do they do for $200?

Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

a picture would be fantastic cuz i have no F-ing idea what it looks like because the ammount of vaccume space between the intake source and the carburator throat means alot.

as far as what nicholas cycle does, i cant really tell you because i have no idea waht they all do, they used to have a list on their website. Bradracer can tell you better. i know they bore and polish out the throat, change the spring re-do all the jets and alot of custom work

Old 08-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

To help ya out......first go to this site.....www.predatorowners.com

Try and search things about your "civic intake".........and see what you come up with........also search the nicholas cycle carb mods......they are definatley worth every penny......trust me.

And, remember.......I think dynojets are usually about 5 off frrom regular.......so I'd suggest starting around a 175....but you can search that too.......