Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 500 trail stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops, forgot to tell you how I made the quick disconnect.

For the front, I started with the original winch mount and cut the flat base out of it (Keep this for later) take the two sides and weld a 1 1/2"O.D.1/4" thick cross brace to front of them, weld a piece 1 1/2" square box steel in the center at a 90 degree angle similar to a Reese hitch receiver. For the rear I used 2 pieces of 1 1/4" c-channel and ran it along the top frame rails extended far enough to accept a cross piece(I had to grind a little off both side of C-Channel to fit around the rack tubes) this was mounted using the two original bolts on both sides already in the frame rails. (Note I had to remove the muffler to accomplish this) then I welded a piece of 1 1/2" square box steel to tie the two together onto which I welded another piece of 1 1/2" square box steel for the receiver. For the winch mount part I retained the remainder of the front winch mounting plate (Mainly because the roller fair lead was already mounted to it) and mounted a piece of 1" solid square stock to it, then I just had to slide it in and drill for the pin. For wiring I just ran a duplicate set of leads with quick disconnects (From Warn) to the front and rear and I was ready to go. The hardest part was getting the wiring quick disconnects.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Mud4Me

Old 12-04-2000, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Man thats a heck of a story,i think that your story beats mine,until i was in the mountains last summer when we had a big rain and the creek was really rolling,well i had afew buddies there with me and i really wanted to get to this fishing spot and also show that the mighty sp could do just about anything i proceeded to cross and the front end started washing downstream so i had no choice but to go forward well the water came all the way up on the seat and my butt was getting wet and the front end started clawing up like it was trying to swim,i guided it up sream to a high spot a collect my wits,i made it across finnally and was surprized well my buddies saw that it was to deep for there honda's and said they were not going to try.long story short i had to come back across this mighty creek,i started back across when i hit the deep spot,i didnt turn upstream enough and my front end washed over the rapids and down she went(i didnt know how deep it was)so i jumped off to try to save it or go down with the ship (LOL)well the motor didnt quit untill it came over the gas cap.by this time i had been washed to the far side of the creek with me holding onto the bars and looking crazy,i yelled at my buddies to get over here and they had to run threw the woods and it seemed like forever till they got there,i had to pull the winch cable out while i was on the edge of another rapid when the cable was wraped around a tree and i had to winch this sp up the bank and out of the creek.finnally i got it running again and i headed to the truck.if i can post some pics that one of my buddies took as i was goin down the creek youll see what im talking about.all i could think of is this 6200 sp going to the bottom of this creek.whew thats along story. i like the way you done your winch setup by the way.

Old 12-05-2000, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Silverado,

Was there any damage to your SP?
I've told this story to a few friends of mine but they don't seam to get how scary it was being pushed down river with no end in sight. I mean I've been stuck but it's really nothing to worry about you just find a place to hook your winch or tow it out with another ATV, truck or whatever it's just not the same.

Mud4Me

Old 12-05-2000, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

When I cross fassst rivers I always pinpoint the place I wanna be when I come out the other side and then start my crossing a short distance up the river to where I what to land my ship on the other bank. This makes the river help me across rather than having to fight the current.

SP500 in NS

Old 12-05-2000, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

only damage done was water in my oil,airbox and my pride.no they dont know how scary it is but man its scary not knowing when your going to stop and how deep the water is going to get!!! i thought it was going to the bottom.LOL LOL