Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help with Part!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Part!!

Sportsman 500 HO 2002
I recently attempted to replace the rear inside(toward gear box) CV Boot. It was torn during my last ride. Everything went good until I tried to put it back together. Somehow I managed to break to inside retaining ring. I thought this would be fairly easy to get from the local Polaris dealer. However they are telling me this retaining ring can not be bought and I'll need to buy the whole assembly for around $210.00. I can't beleive you can't get a $2.00 part without buying the whole assembly. I have looked at the Polaris on-line manual and think the correct part is 8-1350042, Ring,spring on diagram B4, Rear Drive Shaft. Has anyone else had this problem? If so can you verify if this is the right spring/clip ring. I have tried several Auto Parts stores and so far no one is able to match it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lilmul, hear is a sight for you w/ that part you can order it from ronnies .com http://216.37.204.202/polaris_oem/Po...=13&A=253&B=42

Old 08-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer

How did you get the drive shaft out.I just replaced the rear wheel side boot and I couldn't get the shaft out of the diff??Jerked like heck and wouldn't budge.So just removed the cv joint from the shaft on the quad,but wound have liked to put complete shaft on bench.
Have buddy that needs same one replaced and want to get the driveshaft out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

its held in w/ a compression clip on the end of the shaft. sometimes you need to use a pry bar as well as jerking it real hard. if they've been in there a while then they do dome out hard.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

encorebilly
I removed the entire rear Hub, by removing the upper and lower control arm bolts. You can then take off the gear side boot(mine was damage so I cut it off). Remove the large retaining ring. You can them remove the inner cage, race, bearings and shaft. Warp you hand around this so the bearing won't go bouncing away. This info came from http://www.thecvman.com website, Tech Tips Inner CV removal.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

A day or so before you plan to pull the axle squirt LOTS of penetrating oil (like WD or better) between the CV cup and the rear gear case. Sometimes you have to get between them with a pry bar (or two) like stendori said. And sometimes if you rotate the axle you’ll find a spot to pry or pull that the assembly will just about fall out when all other spots won’t give at all. When you put it back together lube the stub axle splines with Anti-seize to make it easier the next time. No guarantees though!

Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

just becareful prying as its only alum. your prying agaist. like floodrunner said some real good penetrating oil helps. mine had only 400 miles on the back and had to pry it good to get it out, the front i pulled out w/ one good tug so it depends on the mood i guess. lol.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: floodrunner
A day or so before you plan to pull the axle squirt LOTS of penetrating oil (like WD or better) between the CV cup and the rear gear case. Sometimes you have to get between them with a pry bar (or two) like stendori said. And sometimes if you rotate the axle you’ll find a spot to pry or pull that the assembly will just about fall out when all other spots won’t give at all. When you put it back together lube the stub axle splines with Anti-seize to make it easier the next time. No guarantees though!
Thanks,As I said got the new boot on buy taking off the outer cv,but really wanted to get the whole unit out on the bench instead of working on it on the quad.
Didn't like trying to get to that snap ring with it hanging on the shaft.
Next time I'll lube it first and try your suggestions,didn't want to pry to much on the rear case..
Buy the way do you still have the fan on off switches?Think I'll switch from 700 to 800 shortly and will want one.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, plenty of most everything in stock.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

Floodrunner,
How do you like that 800 compared to the 700?Would you still make the switch again?

Quick Reply: Need Help with Part!!