Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

coolant coming out reservoir tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant coming out reservoir tank

I have been having trouble with overheating and loosing coolent with my 2002 700 sportsman. It is comming out my reservoir top. I thought it may be my thermostat sticking closed but when I pulled it out on the trail i was open. Any Ideas. There is no coolant in my oil.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stupid question, did you check to make sure your fan is working and that the rad. isnt plugged? i've had it happen to both to my 800 and 450.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

yes the fan was working and with the radiator cap off I could see the coolent flowing. I also believe I have airflow thru the radiator.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

Stendori gave you some good advice most of the time that’s what is wrong.

With that said, you need to see if it’s truly overheating. Is the jug and engine hot? Or does the coolant start to leak as the machine warms up? Water pump operating properly?

If the engine is not hot, but pulses out fluid my be a gasket leak or cracked jug or head.
Next since you removed thermostat did you fill system properly and give it time to purge the air out of the system?

I personally would take Stendori’s advice and clean out the radiator and make sure the fan is turning, fill to capacity run the engine and then let it cool and check coolant level and add as needed.

Once you start from a good base start your analysis of the system

Old 08-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Agree to make sure radiator is clear. They like to fill up on the back side, especially in front of the shroud. Front may look clean. I have gone so far as to take the radiator out of the machine to clean it, was surprised how gunked up it was even though I thought it was clean. There is no such thing as a "stupid question" People come here looking for help, not to be told that they are stupid. If you do a search on the Polaris forums you will find many instances of this problem also. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

The rad is clean I sprayed it out myself. If you would say that hot fine water vapor blowing out the vent of the resevior is hot, yes it is as hot as the engine. My fan went out a couple of rides ago. It is replaced with new and it is working. When I replaced the fan I took the radiater out and cleaned it well then too. I did have fluid leaking out the weep hole and I replaced the plastic water pumpcover with the new aluminum version and replaced the water pump seal. When I changed the seal I filled it up let it cool, then added more coolant. I thought all was well then I rode the quad yesterday and that is when it overheated. The fan was blowing well as water vapor blew out the top of the resevoir. I have tested the thermostat in hot water and it opens and closes easily. I have reinstalled it only because it is sunday and i cant get a replacment. Back to square one.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I fund one hose rubbing on the frame put a hole in it
check them

Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have checked those too.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

your rad could be bad. i know when i got go threw mud they pug up like everyone here says and when i wash it out it takes time to clean it i found this out on mine

Old 08-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

Well now you add a little more to the puzzle Gray Hair!

If the fan went bad and the pump leaked ……….did you use sealant on the pump (to much maybe)…………did you check the sensor that controls the fan. Does the fan spin properly …………wiring in good shape ………..

Sounds like you have to go thru the history now and determine………. if you had a problem and fixed it or you caused a bigger problem by fixing it!

Quick Reply: coolant coming out reservoir tank