Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magazine Articles???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes laugh when I read the crap these ATV Magazines write. I wonder where they find these guys, and exactly what are they thinking about when they write their stories or comparisons.

For example: Do you guys remember that article on the Grizzly in Dirt Wheels Magazine. The one where they souped up the Grizzly and modified the rear brake with a disk brake. They showed a picture of the so-called experienced test rider flipping the bike forward down a hill. They blamed the mishap on the increased stopping power of the rear disk brakes. I have not read that article in a while so correct me if I am wrong. I just remembered thinking they were full of it when I read it a few months back.

Greg

Old 12-01-2000, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Greg,
That post kind of came out of nowhere. That doesn't seem to make alot of sense. How do you flip a bike forward off the rear brake. I could see that happening with the front brake, but not the rear. Plus I don't think the Grizzly is a good candidate for excessive engine mods. Being air/oil cooled leaves it at a disadvantage for dissipating the extra heat that comes with it.

Rick

Old 12-01-2000, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I read that article, too. I assumed the driver stomped the rear brake with the 4x4 engaged, locking up the front wheels through the driveline.
Why would they want to soup up a Grizzly for anyway? I would be afraid of meltdown running an air cooled engine too 'hot'. Why not boost a Scrambler or Xplorer 400? It would make more sense, and be easier/more cost effective. If I remember right, didn't they use a lot of hand-built one of a kind parts on it?

Old 12-02-2000, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Farmr123,
There is enough lash in the drive train to prevent simultaneous engaging of the front brake after just a rear brake engagaement. I know that from experience. Your right, why soup up a Griz, its bad enough already!

Rick

Old 12-02-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

If the point of this thread is that the magazine articles are a poor source of information, I couldn’t agree more. Some of the “accuracy” is so pathetic you have to wonder if the writer has ever thrown a leg over the saddle of a quad. The 500 4x4 shootout in Dirt Wheels 3 months ago (?) showed the underside view of a Sportsman with a caption that claimed it had a full plastic skid plate. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Misinformation runs rampant in those publications. ATV Magazine does seem to be far more credible than either of Daisy/Hi-Tourque’s publications. I will say, over the years some of the blatant misinformation has been so bad it’s been hilariously entertaining, even though it’s a sad situation.

Old 12-02-2000, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floodrunner,
describes the mags about as accurate as it gets.Since joining the Forum,I really dont even pop my head in a ATV mags anymore.There is much more accurate info in here,
Bill

Old 12-02-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

I only look through them because of all the pictures. Oh, and wasn't that Grisly bored and stroked to like 730cc or something? I remember it being pretty darn modified.

Old 12-02-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with floodrunner. In January both of my magazine subscribtions expire & I am not going to renew them. Info in these forums & on the web is much better plus you don't have to go throug page after page of advertisements.

Old 12-02-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have a dirtwheels mag that raced a 250 Mojave and 300 Lakota (both 4 strokes) and it said they both topped out at the same top speed of 60-65 mph! I ride with a guy who has a Lakota and it just does a little over 50 mph on a good day.

Dirt Wheels did there first Rubicon ride review and said " Its suspension is certainly on par,if not beater than,the king of 4x4 suspension,the Polaris Sportsman 500."

A few months later Dirtwheels did the 500 shoot out and claimed the Sportsman had the best suspension by far of the bunch! What happened in those few mouths? Did the Rubicon's suspension get worse or did the SP suspension get better.

Old 12-02-2000, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Tim,
If you are talking about Douche Wheels, it seems to be the way they are.
If Honda has recently bought more advertising in their mags, then their bikes will fair pretty well in SHOOTOUTS. Nothing against Honda, but if you took every nameplate off of the Rubicon and every nameplate off the Sportsman, and found two riders that knew NOTHING about brands/quads to test them. The Sportsman would come out on top every time.
I quit subscribing to DW almost 2 years ago. They don't support MY brand of ATVING...(SERIOUS MUDDING!!) There is NO sand bug that can tell ME how to ride mud, they don't have the knowledge and experience needed to follow any of us East Texas Mud Dawgs much past the end of the utility trailer.
I remember when the BigBear 400 4x4 came out, DW did a "review". At the end of the article, where the specs were, they had a picture of a shiny new 99 BigBear 350 4x4. Now THATS Careful Editing!!!
When they compared the Magnum 500 to the Grizzly 600, at the end of the article, the spec chart listed the Grizzly as liquid cooled with fan assist, and the Magnum 500 as air-cooled with fan assist. Once again, some of that high dollar editing. I've seen better editing on my 5th grade sons English Reports.
DW also has a "publishing policy" that they will NOT print pics of riders that are NOT wearing helmets... OK, fine, but if they EVER come to East Texas in August and get a 600+ lb. bike stuck in a 4 ft. deep mudhole and start rocking it to get it out, they better HOPE I'm not there, I will BUNGIE cord their helmet on their heads and watch them have a heat stroke. I can understand helmets on a sport bike or in organized racing events. I also totally agree with anybody under the age of 18 wearing a helmet.
Sorry for ramblin..... DW just SUCKS!!