Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Super important question: I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for reading. I bought some Hot Seat dual rate springs for my Scram from a buddy. Problem is he had the model with less suspension travel in the rear and I am missing a good 3 inches!

For the fun of it, I installed my short stock spring then the two Hot Seat ones on top of that. Triple rate...Wow!

When the seat and plastic is off, is the frame under there supposed to be horizontal? It's just that my rear suspension does not seem to be at full heighth???

What can I do and is it worth keeping the rear springs? Plus what happens when you touch the small nut on top of the fox resevoir in the back? I turned it a bit and want to be sure I didn't let some pressure out!?!?

I need your opinions! I need to ride this weekend!

Thanks, Brian

Old 12-01-2000, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

It's been a few years since engineering school, but I think that when you add springs in a series like that, the spring rates don't just add up. The resultant rate will be something higher than the smallest rate, and lower than the highest rate. I think the equation is
New Rate = [1/(1/R1+1/R2+...1/Rn)]
the reciprocal of, the sum of the reciprocals of the spring constants.
If I'm getting it backwards, please point it out. Like I said, its been a while.
Gary

Old 12-01-2000, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good thing I did a little science in school...but still pretty lost. In other words it won't work like it should. It will be a mix of all three rates.

????

Old 12-01-2000, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know if it will work or not? Just depends on what you are looking for. If you wanted the spring constants to be directly additive, you would have to have the springs sitting side by side, or one inside the other. Don't really know about that other stuff.

Good luck,
Gary

Old 12-01-2000, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

It's gonna work, for sure, but not the way you intended it. It's a thing to try out. It will work. Fine? No idea.
Com'on armyman...you are a physics fan!! you probably have the answer...please read this!

Old 12-02-2000, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

If your ride height is close to where it was, try it, you shouldn't hurt anything.
To oversimplify what BrassPad said, I will try.
Your first bit of travel will be at the weakest spring weight.
As it bottoms, it will start to compress the mid-weight spring, and as it compresses more, it will start to compress the heavy spring. If you have enough travel to bottom out the first two springs, the ending spring weight will be what the heaviest spring is rated at, and depending on preload, starting weight should be what the lightest spring is rated at.
The overall spring rate will be lighter than the heavy, heavier than the light.

The advantage of dual or triple rate springs is to give a plush ride over the little bumps, while having increased bottoming resistance over the big ones.
Hope I helped. If I just confused you more, ignore what I said.