Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooling

I have been wondering the last little while about if there was a additive you could add to engine oil that would make it cooler.Like the stuff you can run through your cooling system and it is supposed to reduce heat up to 40 percent or something. I have ordered the external oil cooler kit for our hawkeye but i was wondering about a quick fix for now and maybe even leave it in. Any Ideas???

Erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Oil Cooling

How hot is your oil getting? In degrees?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil Cooling

Havent figured that out yet but the bike starts acting up (as in too hot) when we are in dense push when there is no air flow. I figure it is the oil or the gas heating up. As soon as we get moving with air flow across the bike it is fine. I know the new hawkeyes have a oil cooler now because polaris figured this out after they made the first bikes.

I will get a temp when i get back from my trip.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil Cooling

Havent figured that out yet but the bike starts acting up (as in too hot) when we are in dense push when there is no air flow. I figure it is the oil or the gas heating up. As soon as we get moving with air flow across the bike it is fine. I know the new hawkeyes have a oil cooler now because polaris figured this out after they made the first bikes.

I will get a temp when i get back from my trip.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Cooling

Too bad Polaris didn't put a fan on this model. I don't think there's a magical additive you can put in your oil that will reduce the temp. Best to just use a high quality oil.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil Cooling

Top quality oils will reduce some engine heat becasuse they reduce friction a major source of heat in an engine. As we all know the burning of the fule is the main source but frictions is in second placen IMO. Got for something like the amsoil powerstroke or other group 4 or 5 synthetics.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil Cooling

Originally posted by: trailblazzers
I have been wondering the last little while about if there was a additive you could add to engine oil that would make it cooler.Like the stuff you can run through your cooling system and it is supposed to reduce heat up to 40 percent or something. I have ordered the external oil cooler kit for our hawkeye but i was wondering about a quick fix for now and maybe even leave it in. Any Ideas???

Lucas Oil additive - 20 to 25% at your next oil change. Good for both old style dinosoar oil or synthetic. Used it on my 04.5 500 Sportsman. Engine quieter and smoother. Noticed fan came on less. Will use it again. Makes oil stick to parts, lowers damage from "start up" metal on metal wear as it coats parts and stays on them longer.

I am not a dealer of this product, just a happy end user.

Warning - do not use this in diesel engines - it can foam under high pressure (not present in Polaris engines) and cause injector failure.