Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

***I wanna talk to Explorer 400 4x4 owners only***

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have seen me in the kawasaki forum about a week ago asking about the same question but i thought i would try it in polaris now. I only want to hear from people who have actually ridden or owned a Polaris Explorer 400 4x4. I don't want to hear that your best friends brother rode one and didn't like it. I want the truth first hand.
Would it be a good wuad to strap a 60" blade on to push snow in the winter? I have heard since it has 12" of ground clearance it would be great for that. Also, the specs say it should only pull about 800 pounds. Can you pull more than that if it is flat ground? Also, are there any differences between a 1999 polaris and a 2001 one? Cause I have been checking out polarisses website and just trying to see if they are alike. Also, would a 1999 Polaris 400 explorer 4x4 with a warn 2000# winch and a mosse 60" plow setup with only 600 miles and a completely new front end (racks, plastic, headlights etc.) be worth $3800.00. Im thinking it is an alright deal, but I would need to know soon. So just in general, how do you like your explorer? Any problems with it? Thanks alot guys! Derek

Old 12-03-2000, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think that Bill, Farmr123 and myself have told you already how much we love our Xplorers. If pulling seems to be a concern, then go to the link below.

https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect.../nyatvpull.cfm

Old 12-03-2000, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Excuse me here the man wants to hear from people who own them not from people who talk like they own them.
***EXPLORER OWNERS ONLY***
***EXPLORER OWNERS ONLY***

LONG LIVE POLARIS!!!

2000 SCRAMBELR 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-03-2000, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Let me be the first one to give you a legitimate answer. I love my Xplorer. It does not have 12" of clearance though. (About 8.5") Very powerful and sporty. No problems with a plow or for heavy useages. The 800lbs is a legal thing. It can pull as much as any other. The only thing I suggest is a new clutch kit upon purchase. It uses the power of the motor much better.

It's a fast and powerful quad...well worth a test ride!

Old 12-03-2000, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I own a 00 TBlazer 250. heh heh

Old 12-03-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

What would you like to know about a 2001 Sportsman ? Maybe a 2000 Scrambler ? A 2000 Rancher ? No....... Only a Xplorer 4x4 ? Sorry, can't help you with that.

I just couldn't resist. That's the bad thing about these forums. You get to hear from everybody, whether you want to hear it or not.

Old 12-04-2000, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks snowride and xplor, and you other guys are cool too, not.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

DerekHonda, I'm baaaaaaack...
Seriously, though, here are my opinions on your questions. These are based on my experiences. I have about 3600 trouble free miles on my Xplorer, so I hope I have some insight.
There are arguments about ground clearance. I have heard many. Some say 12", some say 8". They are both right. There is about a foot of clearance under the belly of the machine. However, the brake disk and rear sprocket hang down, cutting clearance to 7 or 8". This doesn't effect mud or snow riding though, as you have only 2 tiny channels to cut through (for the disk & sprocket) until you hit that 12" mark. Rocks & stumps, on the other hand, will catch if they are over 8" tall and happen to be right under where either the disk or sprocket will be going. I caught many stumps & never hurt anything.
The pulling rating is WAY under what it will really pull. I have a 400 bushel gravity wagon (weighs about 2200#) that I pull around the yard (empty of course) quite frequently with my Xplorer. I park it between some trees, and it is the only thing narrow enough to get out of where I park it. I could back it in with a tractor, but just driving it in with my Xplorer is much faster. I also have moved a bale feeder wagon with it, and it will throw a roost off of all 4 tires, on grass. This is in excellent traction conditions where wheelies only require low range and gunning the throttle. Pulling power is impressive. Too much, if you aren't expecting it. Get a ton wagon rolling 15 mph & try to stop to keep from running over your dog with a machine under 600# isn't too quick. Glad the dog wasn't quite deaf yet (14 1/2 yrs old @ the time, though & not too quick)
$3800 with a plow seems an excellent price providing everything was fixed right. I would question why it needed the whole front end new & double check for anything that doesn't look quite right.
How do I like it in general? I love it! No problems at all yet, and I am using it to do the same work (about 40 hours last summer) that overheated a Honda 300 & ruined the cam & head to the tune of $1800. The cooling system is more than adequate, it is exceptional. Just blow the chaff off the fins every couple months.

Old 12-04-2000, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, my friend has a raptor, my cousin has a warrior, my other cousin has a 325 trailboss, and my uncle has a sportsman and an expedition, too, but no explorer, and did I forget to mention I have a 00 Tblazer 250? Well, I do. Wanna know anything about one of them? ***.

Old 12-04-2000, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

fasternu
All this guy wants is some "real" input from people that actually own, or have ridden the Xplorer. What the heck is your problem?????

Quick Reply: ***I wanna talk to Explorer 400 4x4 owners only***