Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700 Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006 | 12:42 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Polaris 700 Reliability?

I have heard that Polaris atv's break alot more than the others. I haven't owned one but am looking at one and need to know what's up. Mainly concerned with the 700 Sportsman model.

Old 09-06-2006 | 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Mine's been great. I've got 40 hard hrs and over 150 miles on mine. I've busted my foot well protectors and sunk in mud up to the fender wells. The only Issue I've had is melting plastic. I've also moded the bike and that could have exagerated the heat issues. popo did replace all melted plastic under waranty. The Bike is heavy and more Utility than sprot. It tough as nails and since I'm the least experienced rider of the group I ride with the bike's ablitites help me make up for lack of certian skills. Mudding and climbing are 2 key points for me.

Old 09-06-2006 | 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

I've had no problems with mine, 500 mi, 60+ hrs, I ride it like an adult, treat it like a tool, major systems are stock. used it last hunting, and ice fishing seasons. EFI starts great. no time on other makes, two friends have 500 HO without problems, thats why i have mine.

Old 09-06-2006 | 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

1600 miles on mine and NO problems. Need I say that ALL brands have their good and bad machines.

Old 09-06-2006 | 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: SAshton
I have heard that Polaris atv's break alot more than the others. I haven't owned one but am looking at one and need to know what's up. Mainly concerned with the 700 Sportsman model.
You have heard right my friend! The polaris quads arent engineered or reliable as the big 4 Japanese machines.

Since you asked this question on this forum you are not going to get a accurate answer because no one on the polaris forum will admit that their machine is junk. Except maybe the ones that switched brands and never looked back....But you will have to go to the other forums for that.

Old 09-06-2006 | 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a 99 scram. Replaced lots of parts. Nearly 25,000 miles on it.(what do you expect) I've had honda's and one yamaha. Never again will I own anything else but Polaris. The older model polaris were not that great as far as the reliability goes. But it's amazing how every other brand has basiclly copied almost every feature that polaris has ever put on there machines. The 700 engine has been pretty much great minus a few first year screw ups that are long gone. The rest of the machine is pretty much the same old sportsman (with nearly 12 years of refinement) that has become the benchmark for what atv's have become today.

Old 09-06-2006 | 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

SAshton, I've got nearly a year on mine now (hard riding) and the only complaints I've got so far are with the front tires and front suspension springs. I replaced the stock springs with the MV7 front springs and cured that problem. The radial PXT tires have great traction and handling but I'm not sure the sidewalls are going to take the rock strewn trails we ride here at high speeds. (I ride it like a sport quad quite often) I've had 3 front flats now and have more cuts in the sidewalls which aren't leaking. The rears seem to be doing great. I have to say that everything else on this machine has performed flawlessly. If you'll search old topics you'll find that the 700 is probably as reliable as anything out there be it Japenese or whatever. As ncrider said,"nearly 12 years of refinement" should tell you that this machine has a great deal going for it or it would have been phased out and Polaris would have gone bankrupt if ganggreen's comments had any merit to them. You need look no further than his "things I hate" list to figure out the type of person he is. Search for the truth and you will make the right decision on a machine that's right for you be it a Polaris or something else. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2006 | 03:34 AM
Range Rover
From: Central Valley Ca 1.5 hr to the Sierra Mts & 2 hrs to Pismo Beach

I drove a 700 for 3 years and 900 miles with 0 problems that weren't self inflicked. Even after taking a header off a 20 ft high dune at pismo it ran flawlessly. I did have to air up the front tire and carry the back rack back to the car.

Old 09-07-2006 | 05:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ncriderforks
I've got a 99 scram. Replaced lots of parts. Nearly 25,000 miles on it.(what do you expect) I've had honda's and one yamaha. Never again will I own anything else but Polaris. The older model polaris were not that great as far as the reliability goes. But it's amazing how every other brand has basiclly copied almost every feature that polaris has ever put on there machines. The 700 engine has been pretty much great minus a few first year screw ups that are long gone. The rest of the machine is pretty much the same old sportsman (with nearly 12 years of refinement) that has become the benchmark for what atv's have become today.

Well said my friend.

I have 2700 miles on an '02 and its still very reliable.
Just replaced mostly wear items, keep up with the maintanence.

Very happy and will buy another some day.

Jim

Old 09-07-2006 | 07:40 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 Reliability?